Increased anxiety with upped dose

Posted , 2 users are following.

I've been on 225 of venlafaxine for 6 weeks now, for the past week I've had increased anxiety. Is this something that will pass or does it mean the dose is too high? Thanks

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Anne. Do you have any new sensations other than the increased anxiety?

Head pain or pressure or new sleep disturbances, nausea, apetite problems?

• Posted

I've had constant mild headache and a bit of pressure in my sinuses but that's all, I'm at docs in an hour and I know she won't know what to do!

• Posted

GP huh? smile

You can either wait for another week if you think you can cope, or ask to go down by 37.5mg but NO more than that so you don't go into a frenzy needlessly.

If your doctor is not sure what to do ask if s/he or you can consult a licensed psychiatrist. It is a pity for them to start jerking dosages around now and ruin any progress made so far.

After 6 weeks the drug has reached a solid concentration and you should not be experiencing prolonged or increasing anxiety episodes (more than a couple of days) - although I am not sure what the severity of your initial condition was??

Constant mild headache since you started the new dose? Or over the past week? One of the key signs of being slightly above optimal dosage is a persistent mild to moderate headache. x

• Posted

I had an emergency referral sent to psychiatrist last October! I was prescribed this pill for over 20 years by my gp on a repeat prescription and was taken off too fast 16 months ago. I can't get any relief from low mood at all. The headache has been with me for several weeks. Not sure whether to stick it out for another week or drop to 187.5, I have the caps with the mini pills so I can play with dose

• Posted

Ah ok I remember the story now. Read on a separate thread some time ago.

See what the doctor says and go from there. You can try either method and see what feels better. You have enough experience with it by now to be able to tell if something is off.

What was the emergency last October that they (finally) referred you to psychiatrist if it is not a secret? Suicidal/harm tendency or psychotic collapse? Watch out for any escalating symptoms and exercise caution either way. I do hope you feel better very soon. What a mess sad

• Posted

I've decided to stay on this dose a while longer to see if it is the right dose and hopefully the psych appointment will come through. Last Oct I told gp I couldn't wait till my life was over due to my illness and my sons drug addiction (he lives with me) I just feel I'm at the end of my rope

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.