Increased depression and anxiety week 6 and 7! I feel like I’m back at square one! Any hope?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone! So I am starting my 8 weeks of 75mg of Zoloft after many trials with other ssri ( celexa stopped working after 18 years, Wellbutrin, lexapro) the last 10 months for depression. The changes have been horrible! There seemed to be improvement in week 3 and 5 but I feel like I went backwards the last 2 weeks, crying a lot and anxiety!  I have been reading everyone’s posts and i know i need to wait it out for at least another 2 weeks before deciding the next step. Is it normal to fluctuate like this? Is there hope for 75 mg to work? I tried 100mg 7 weeks ago when I was transitioning, the MD said that was my target dose which was comparable to the 15 mg of lexapro I was on and had to come off 4 days later due to severe anxiety and depression. I am so scare that this is not the drug for me and I have to change again. I don’t think I can take it! Maybe if I tried upping it next time it won’t be as bad since it’s been awhile since my last change?? I never had anxiety and racing heart prior to Zoloft.  I am also still tired, dizzy, and with a mild headache although much better than the first few weeks.  I am also trying going to cognitive behavior therapy. I would love to hear from anyone that has experienced  similar situation as mine!! Thank you so much! If it weren’t for this forum I may have gotten off Zoloft already!

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lauren sorry to hear your having such a tough time, to put it into perspective for you I started at 50 and felt an improvement, I was at 50 for 4 weeks but not symptom free, my doc then advised I go up to 100g, I did 75g  for 1 week the 100 for the rest of the time and yes it worked and I could feel the benefit after 4 weeks (8 weeks in total) it sneaks up on you gradually suddenly you have more better days and the thoughts become less and less it’s only when you feel well you realise it’s working. I used to write notes in my phone on bad days and get my thoughts down, I then noticed I wrote them down less and less, then started reading them back which helped me realise how ill I was and how much of a better place I was in when reading them back. I’ve been on Sertraline for nearly 2 years i upped my dose to 125 for around 4 months but reduced back to 100.  I notice a lull before my period and a change in my mood and sometimes I think we have to feel some negativity’as this is only normal , good luck and I hope Sertraline works for you xxx 
    • Posted

Thanks Kerry for taking the time to respond to me. I’m so glad Sertraline has helped you. I am going to wait a good 2 more weeks before I figure out what I should do. Today, i was dizzy again so I’m not sure increasing the dose would be a good idea...
  • Posted

I just increased to 100 myself and I know I’ve felt more progress this week than I have on 25, 50, or 75. I think it’s all about finding that target dose. 
  • Posted

So sorry to hear about your rough transition but I can really much relate. I was on celexa for 12 years and it stopped working. I’m thinking it’s because I changed manufactures. But I started Zoloft at 25 MG now I’m on 200MG for OCD,GAD. It’s been about 3 1/2 months and I had a ton of symptoms you are describing. I upped my dosage every two weeks and did it on a cross taper plan. Best of luck 
    • Posted

May I ask what dose celexa you were on? I was on 40 mg. How are your side affects now with Zoloft? 
    • Posted

I was on 40 MG for roughly almost 13 years. They beginned to poop out and eventually my childhood OCD escalated fast and I noticed every symptom, the depression was back. I was waking up every night. Tried melatonin didn’t work. Had tension headaches everyday and brain zaps from basically this medication stopping and meanwhile I was still on the 40 MG of celexa. As soon as I started outpatient group therapy the pysch there said you should try a new SSRI I chose Zoloft based on reviews from peers and my god. I went down to 30 MG of celexa and to 12.5 MG of Zoloft to start and I noticed a difference the first week. The ocd just vanished. Then finally 25 mg-50mg - 100 MG I skipped 75 and opted straight for 100 then 150-200mg. Feeling great on 200 right now symptoms are very manageable with therapy. I switched doses every 2 weeks and it seemed to work. I experienced side effects for months, but now they are all dimmed down finally and I can start to get my life back on track. 
    • Posted

Sorry been about *4 months on Zoloft. P.s stick through it ! And if it doesn’t work there are more options. Best of luck
    • Posted

Thanks Dana! So interesting that you mentioned tension headaches when your celexa stopped working. That’s exactly what happened to me! There was a trigger which started the headaches about 10 months ago. The headaches were everyday for about 3 to 4 months. I started to get really depressed. I was thinking the headaches lead to my depression but more and more I believe that the headaches were from depression (I’m normally not a headachey person ) Now I’m getting some headaches back which of course is making me more anxious! I wish I can tolerate going up to 100 mg. Still waiting for a MD appt...
  • Posted

I hope you start feeling soon it’s been a long hard road for me to get up to 200 MG but right now I’m at peace enjoying this beautiful weather on my balcony. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.