increased dosage from 75mg - 150mg, starting tomorrow

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi, ive previously posted on here before , basically yrs ago i suffered with depression and anxiety , was on venlafaxine. eventually came off it and always had down days but managed to cope. well a few months ago everything got too much again , and started having panic attacks , and feeling very depressed. I work in a very busy retail place . well the first time i went to GP they just suggested mindfulness and breathing excercises , with no luck they put me on sertaline. This didnt get me anywhere and they added mertazapine to help with the sleep. they worked for the sleep , however after losing 2.5 st last yr and being concious of my weight , i gained alot in a week !!! so went back and they stopped mert and doubled the sert. ( i had an apt booked for gp a wk later anyway with my reg gp ) when i went bk to him , he then changed me to venlafaxine 75mg as they previosly worked for me , ( they didnt want to put me straight on them at first , dunno why ) so except for side effects they worked ok , just could sleep for england , was also signed off for approx 6 weeks too , 

the week i was due to come bk to work my relationship of 7 plus yrs ended, i finished it but its silly as i dont know why i just felt a bit self destruct , so i had that to deal with as well as the anxiety of returning to work , i returned 2 weeks ago on reduced hrs , and changed duties. this has been agreed to last a month. well its all been alot to cope with , panic attacks had increased , sleep patterns well basically are all over the place and feel generally rubbish sad . i had my follow up today and had a panic when in there , could barely talk / get the words out to explain stuff. when i eventually did he was not happy about the progress and has doubled them to 150mg starting tomorrow. he suggested signing me off however ive ran out of sick pay and now im single finances are different. so i want to try and stay at work , luckily i can stay away from the public and do outher tasks which has been agreed along with the reduced hrs

My question is , is anyone on this dose ? did they have any side effects when increased dosage? im so worried about everything as im a single mum ( my ex wasnt my sons dad but they were close ) and struggling with everything . . 

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sarah everyone is different but I guess lucky as I hAv never experienced any side affects on venflaxatine I to started on that dose and increased to 150mg with no side affects and am now on 225mg however I have been on them so long I don't feel they R working anymore. U r obviously going through a lot of stress, I would give them a chance and see how they go and I really hope they work for you. But they worked for me for a long time but after 20 years I think any med would not b as affective as it was. U clearly have a lot going on maybe working is good for U or maybe U could do with a rest only U can decide but UR health is important and especially now as a single parent, I hope U can talk to UR doctor maybe get some therapy just to give U a space to vent. I really hope they work for U, I was at 150mg for a long time and was doing v well, and it can take up to 2 weeks to get the full benefits of the increased dose. I hope this helps and keep strong
    • Posted

Thank you. Sorry to hear you feel they aren't working for you anymore. Hope theres something else you can try... I filled in paperwork for cbt weeks ago and not heard anything. About 3 wks ago I mentioned to gp I hadnt heard abd ge said there very slow. However I was meant to get him to chase it up but I forgot . As when I got in the room today I literally couldn't speak at first as was panicked. By time I could I forgot to tell him . I have some holiday time this wk so gonna try n rest then.. its catch 22 as I need to try and get out more and be positive but I also need to just stay in bed and sleep but then I get usrd to it and give up on everyday stuff. I have a follow up on 2 wks so if all getting to much ill have no choice but to be off work as right now I cant focus on anything as everything is so up in the air and out of routine. But also I don't want ppl talking about me being as I had 6 wks off already and short staffed. I know management say its fine but I worry they'll talk behind my back too. I just hate feeling so low again. And with the panic attacks becoming frequent again its constantly on my mind. And therr over silly things too that end up getting the better of me. X
    • Posted

Hi Sarah, sorry to hear you are feeling so poo. I was on 75mg a day for 5 weeks and felt like it wasn't helping me at all. I've got to say though that I have been on 150mg a day for a week today (monday) and I am finally starting to feel abit better. I take it for anxiety issues only.

Don't forget you may feel a bit poo before you feel the proper benefits of this stuff. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks you will be feeling much better.

If you still love your boyfriend maybe you should speak to him and explain, i'm sure he is hurting very much too with your decision.

All the best and keep your chin up!

• Posted

Hi Sarah PLS chase up the CBT it really works I had it and it was really helpful unfortunately after I was admitted to a residential unit to assess me and my son and all the work was undone as the hospital closed down and our work wasn't finished and as we had been living there 10 months there was not evidence of us living successfully alone and my son was removed from me. I'm currently in the process of trying quetapeine with Venflaxatine as they r supposed to work well for severe depression, it's been 3 years since my son was put in foster care and I always managed to get through the depression b4 becoz I had to as hAv no family and I think focusing on him really helped me even if it was fake it got me up and IVE always been great at taking care of him and others but not myself, but now the depression is awful I just can't function I don't leave the house. I no it's so hard I constantly worry about other ppl wot they think etc and it is terrible the low mood I really hope U get the CBT I myself am waiting for it again as it helped me greatly. There R self help books on it I found it really helpful to read about it before and during my therapy and the therapist said Becoz of this I made progress in 6 months that would normally take 1year. Tbh we R all diff and in the past IVE had to lie in bed feel it and it passed CBT teaches U that an emotion is a feeling that U feel it but U don't hAv to become it basically we need to feel these hard emotions but we also need to move on after which is easier said in a way it is accepting U feel a certain way acknowledge it. I have to in the past got in such a state and totally forgot wot I wanted to say I suggest writing a list and taking it with U its hard wen u wanna get so much out and then emotions take over. Don't GIV up hope. I really must take my own advice im sure I'm not the only one who is great at giving others advice I need to do it too. B kind to Urself U r doing as well as U can and U have got through it before and I no at the moment it feels so intense and a mess but it will pass I always in the past did the opposite of wot I feel like so if I felt like hiding away under covers I would force myself to get out or to the gym but for some reason I myself just can't get going I no I need to find the strength again but wen u have been strong for so long it does get harder each time to pick urself up and I no it's not helpful but part of me thinks y bother coz il get bk on my feet only fall again. But we can do it U might not feel it but anyone living with mental health are strong just being here so don't give up hope, Mayb c if U can get some help for the anxiety abd panic attacks mayb work is helpful being around ppl I was volunteering but found it too much. Just breathe and I no it's hard worrying about other ppl but UR health is more important im sure in reality those ppl have their own worries I no myself I constantly think ppl are thinking bad of me and I felt awful giving up my job letting them down but in reality I no that thimgs R not black and white and I no it's the stigma of mental illness im sure if we had a physical illness we wouldbt b so scared of wot ppl thought. Give UR tablets time and I really think U need to work out wots best for U just focus on the here and now once UR feeling better U can get bk to work. Think wot U would advise a friend to do if they were U in ur situation and don't feel bad for needing some time to get urself well.
  • Posted

225mg venlafaxine worked well for me, minimum side effects except for difficulty reaching orgasm (!!) but that's not been much problem. I also take 30mg mirtazapine, but gradually reducing that. I hope you can get sorted out. I can recommend CBT, it helped me, although you do have to work at it.
  • Posted

I went from 75mg to 150 mg and stayed on that dose for years, and did very well on it. 

I am so sorry your relationship has ended.  I know how that feels.  I could never sustain a relationship when really depressed.  It is awful how this illness takes so much away.  I lost job, house, relationships because of it. 

I eventually went onto Invalidity Benefit because I could no longer work.  I had so much time off, they got rid of me.  Yes it is so difficult trying to cope on little money.

You have been through so much recently, and I admire that you want to continue working even though you feel so poorly.  The only side effects I got were weight gain and indigestion and heartburt.  Otherwise I was pretty good.  Ups and downs, and good and bad days. 

Poor you struggling as a single mum and so much more.  I do admire you so much.  You are a fighter.

I wish you well and hope you keep posting so I know how you are getting on.

Bless you, and take care

• Posted

Thanks for your replies. I took 2 x75 ones this morning ( as gp said use the last 6 up that wsy ).. I collected the prescription for the 150s ... there a different brand. Called venlalic xl.... others were sunveniz xl. Will there be any difference.

All day ive tried to keep busy seeing a friend. And tomorrow im going to try and go out with a friend too. Then work Thursday. I know if I had to have any time off again theywwouldn't dismiss me... its a big well known company and are good . Its just what othet ppl say but gonna try and battle on.

I have had a banging headache today must be the increased dose x

• Posted

Mine are venlalic xl 75mg (I take 3 a day), I've had no problems with them. Previously I was on effexor xl capsules, but noticed no difference when I changed.
  • Posted

Thank you. Ive tried to keep busy today seeing my nan but my head is a pounding . Im at work tomorrow absolutely dreading it where I feel so rubbish but im sure I will be ok. Just alot of changes in life to deal with I suppose on top of feel low and panic attacks anyway xx
    • Posted

I bet your Nan was glad to see you.  I love seeing my grandchildren.  Well done for going to work when you feel so rough.  I know how difficult that is. 

Keep in touch and let us know how you are getting on. 

• Posted

Thank you. Work was ok I guess was all nice ppl in today. No management which is a pain but glad to be home. Ivr cancelled my plans for my day off tomorrow and gonna try and sleep a bit and chill. And if feel up to it maybe see my mum or friend. Got a 7am start the weekend but means travelling on my own at 6.15. Luckily a colleague has offered me her 6am start that way I can catch a lift with a friend and not go on own. Just got to wait for my manager to ring me tomorrow to see if allowed to swap. . To be honest it should be ok. This eve I am just sitting on my backside munching choc lol. Hope everyone ok x
  • Posted

Hi thought id check in , the 150mg seem to be going ok , a few blips but generally ok. The only downside is i am so majorly tired no matter how much sleep i have i still feel so mentally and phsically drained. I have had the odd panic attack , one really bad one but for the depression side of it ive just felt numb , which in a way is quite nice. I had gp today and going to keep on the 150mg and go for check up in 3-4 wks, How is everyone x 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.