Increased dosage to 40mg

Posted , 53 users are following.

Hi

I have spoken to my GP tonight after experiencing anxiety and a general flat feeling. I have been taking 20mg of Fluoxetine since the middle of June. For 4 weeks I suffered awful side effects but persevered and felt better and better each day. However I have continued to feel flat, and slightly disengaged, drained and tired particularly around my time of the month! The doctor told me to up the dose to 40mg which I have done today. She told me to take the 40mg at the usual time of day and said that I wouldn't suffer the side effects again as my body is now used to the Fluoxetine.

Has anyone else upped their dosage and had a positive outcome without suffering side effects?

Thanks

Sally

4 likes, 97 replies

97 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi ladies I just wanted to say I went up to 40mg but my gp told me to take them before bed so I slept and didnt suffer any more symptoms and I must say this worked great smile hope this helps Tina x
    • Posted

Hi Tina,

Thanks for that advice. Did you take 40 mg

At night or the extra 20 mg

Linda x

• Posted

Hi Linda

I took the40mg on a night about an hour before bed ......Tina x

• Posted

Hi Tina,

Thanks I am very nervous of the increase

But willing to give it a try. Did it take long to see a difference

Linda x

• Posted

Hi Sally

No not at all around two weeks I was very eary too but one day just thought wow what a diference it helped massively I hope you get a good response fast let me know how you go on or if you just want a chat even im just finding it hard to find my notifications and get back to here with being new but ill keep at it so sorry for the delay in answering you

Tina x

• Posted

Thanks Tina. I was speaking to someone at work who was prescribed anti depressants during the Summer and I asked her what dosage she takes. She takes 2x 50mg tablets each day. I felt that 40mg was still quite low compared to that and that makes me feel much better!!! Finbgers crossed that I feel the benefit as quickly as you did. I am off to Tenerife on the 25th Oct and so want to feel happy and relaxed!

Sally x

• Posted

Hi Tina,

i have aver increased dose to 40mg for two days now feeling not to good again like the initial side effects. Hope it passes quickly

linda x

• Posted

Hi mockingbird, Hows things going how are you feeling?

Tina x

• Posted

Hi Tina,

still not not great yet but I suppose it will take time. It's only a week on 

40 mg. I just want to feel better

thanks  x

• Posted

Hi hope its not too long before you do feel better its not a nice feeling at all when you feel like this hugs Tina x
    • Posted

Hi Tina

I've been on 10mg for a year and 5mg I was feeling about 75% better but now have hit a low depression and upping to 20mg. Did you find it helped increasing or did you switch meds?

• Posted

How are you doing mockingbird, I'm feeling low and looking for hope in increasing the meds.

• Posted

I went up to 40mg too, at first I felt a bit nauseous but it really helped smile If you still feel flat ect. talk to your doctor about going up to 50mg or even 60mg!
  • Posted

Hi Sally

Hope things are going a litle better for you just wamted yo say hope you have a great holiday try rest and enjoy yourself

Tina x

• Posted

Thanks Tina. I have felt so much better this week. The increase has made such a difference, I wish I had done it sooner! I wouldn't hesitate again to up the dosage. Looking forward to my holiday now smile

Sally x

• Posted

Hi Sally

How long have you been on increased dose

I am still struggling after a week

Linda x

• Posted

Hi Linda

Hope you dont mind me joining in here I was around two weeks before I noticed an improvement maybe just a bit early for you yet I do hope yourstarting to feel the benefits a little more now

Take care Tina x

• Posted

Hi Tina,

thanks for for the reassurance. I just feel there is no end to it. I've also been eating a really unhealthy diet loading up with sugar. Today I am going to go back to my healthy eating hope that helps. Maybe the increased dose will kick in this week. I am so scared of having to start again with another medication. 

Thanks again

Linda x

• Posted

Hi Linds,

How are you now? I hope you are feeling better? It's just the worst feeling ever when you are in it. The increased dose has definately helped me and I really hope that it works for you.

Keep in touch

Sally x

• Posted

Hi Sally,

i I am still on 40 mg still have side effects and so tired I'm on my third week.

i can function but would like to think I will eventually feel much better.

did it work quickly for you

Linda x

• Posted

Hi

Yes it seemed to work after a week or so however I am very tired and I sleep like a log but I do have weird dreams every night!!! 

Sally xx

• Posted

It's week three for me I think the side effects are beginning to go slightly 

but I am so tired.hopefully it will get better soon. I'm glad your doing well.

Linda xx

• Posted

It's week three for me I think the side effects are beginning to go slightly 

but I am so tired.hopefully it will get better soon. I'm glad your doing well.

Linda xx

• Posted

Hi Sally 

I came on here because I’ve been on 20 mg for 12 months but feeling like they are not working thought it was my iron level s - but they and b12 are good .

So tonight I’ve gone 40 mg I found taking in the am made me so tired all day , 

Hope your feeling ok 

Catherine x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.