Increased dosage to 40mg of cit

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was diagnosed with depression in March, have been on cit since, I found that I was still having thoughts about self harm and suicide and wasn't coping very well. The smallest negative thing would happen and it was as if my life was no longer worth living. I went to see my doctor last month and he's upped the dosage to 40mg, all my side effects came back and I'm struggling to sleep again which is adding more stress. The negative thoughts about life have never left. I feel so empty even on the medication. Is this something that will get easier in time? Any advice or stories would be greatly appreciated.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hey Tazzy. Ur still a newbie when it comes to these meds. Rhe good news is u will begin to feel better soon. Just dont give up---ever. Whatever it is thats bothering or troubling you, well u canbovercome it. This med work but u have to give it time. give it the time and u will see its sure worth it. Read some if the posts in here and you will see ur not the only one that has had or have issues. We were all there once. And thankbgod we've come back. Just havenpatience!!! And good luck
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply John! Lovely to see so much support, I try my hardest not to be negative with all of this as I'm still very new to it. Hopefully will start seeing improvements soon!

Thank you smile

• Posted

Good. Ya just gotta believe!!! Go for a walk. Maybe a little excersise. Break youre routine and think positive. In time ur meds will kick in and feel like ur old self---or a new person.
  • Posted

HI Tazzy,

I'm not a doctor and I am also new to a-d's and have been on Cit for 13 weeks which was around March at 20 mgs. My only question is what were you on before he upped the dose. I thought it was to be done gradually, but I'm not an expert. 

Anyway, there are many here who will give you support. I do suggest you hang in for a while. These med's do not kick in for a while. Hopefully you have a good and supportive dr. Check the posts to get more information. Many here have been on Cit for years so you will probably get more input. 

All the best and keep posting and checking - there's a lot of information and great people here.

• Posted

Hi johmac!

I started taking 20mg at the beginning of March, and had the dosage increased to 40 the start of April.

He referred me to a therapist but they didn't offer much help and I'm a bit to scared of the thought of being turned away again to go back, which is why I'm desperate to be on the meds to see some improvements.

Thank you x

• Posted

Should get easier over time. Try taking your citalopram at night may help with sleep.
    • Posted

I started taking them in the evening as of monday, hopefully sleep will improve with that! Thanks for the advice X
    • Posted

Should do ive been on cit for years only recently increased from 20 to 30mg. I am also a mental health nurse and deal with this professionally.
  • Posted

Hi Tazzy,

Not sure I understand why you would be referred to a therapist and they would not give you much help. Was that in reference to the meds or counselling. How could a therapist not be willing to help especially if you had a reference. 

Like I said, there are many here who will offer valuable information. Just keep going and post when you feel you need support.

((hug)) we all need them. smile

• Posted

It was for counselling, to me that was the hardest part was getting help from a stranger but felt like I was shrugged off and told to be on meds for a year and that they couldn't do anything more for me.

That's why Iv came here to look for a bit of advice on meds and how to cope with certain things!

((Hugs))) 🤗🤗

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.