Increased dose 20mg - 30mg

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,

I was on citalopram 10mg for about 2 weeks and had severe side effects of increased anxiety. I upped to 20 and almost immediately felt better. After another 2 weeks I have now been up to 30mg for the past 3 days and I'm back to being dizzy, shaky, anxious crying all the time and heart palpatations.

I've taken citalopram before and don't remember having side effects on increased doses only when I started. Is this normal and how long does it take to go?

1 like, 24 replies

24 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lara

From what I'v heard everytime you change your dosage you risk getting side-effects that usually last 2-3 weeks.  Once you have been on 30 mg for a couple of weeks the side effects should hopefully go.

Good luck.

• Posted

hi if you went to 20mg and felt better why go to 30mg.

• Posted

I mean the side effects went away but the anxiety which it was prescribed for was still there
  • Posted

Hi Lara

Yes it's to soon to feel the real benefits yet so give it more time, I been on 15 for 3 months now and feel good and feel normal!! So it's worth sticking to. I had all the side effects the first few weeks then it settled then I cried and had intrusive thoughts then that all passed

• Posted

hi debbie i have been on 15mg also for around the last month but i still have side effects and feel crap.
    • Posted

Hi Marky did you start on 10mg ? I did but now I cut a 10 in half and have 15. I did feel crispy rhe first few weeks and used to go out walking just around where I live until I gained my confidence back and I have really good days now and you will too, have you been on it a month in all?
    • Posted

hi i have been taking citalopram since september started on 10mg for the first month then went to 20mg lasted around a month on that but felt like total crap so came don to 10 again but have been on 15mg now for just over a month but still feel crap most of the time and still have side effects so i just have to carry on taking the 15mg and see where it takes me good to hear your starting to feel the benifits.
    • Posted

You will feel the benefits too Marky and do you get 15 or do you cut a 10 in half?
    • Posted

hi i get 20mg tablets and cut in half then cut one of the halfs in half again if that makes sense its crazy how in the leaflet that comes with the tablets says the side effects were off after a couple of weeks im 5 months in and still get them atleast i get around 5 hours sleep now.
    • Posted

Yes it's o my the past 2 weeks that my sleeping is more or less back to normal, I am eating everything in sight though lol

• Posted

I am lol I used to weigh 7 stone 10 now I'm 8 stone 5 but it's better to feel hungry than when I first had anxiety and couldn't eat!! I guess your in the UK?

• Posted

yes im from london but just moved to kent and 8 stone 5 is tiny nothing wrong with that you can eat whatever you want
    • Posted

Yes I'm only 5 foot though so have to watch it a bit. So what started your anxiety or depression if you don't mind me asking?

• Posted

my anxiety started completly out of the blue was a home eating with not a care in the world no problems or worries in my life them all of a sudden this feeling of pure fear couldnt breath couldnt see properly thought i was about to die ran out of my house heart was going so fast i started running trying to catch up with my heart rate any way got back home somehow after a while my girlfriend at the time called a ambulance i did not know what was going on then when the ambulance came they said i was having a panic attack i thought what is that never heard of it any way that whre it started for me things got really bad from there i couldnt even leave the house stopped all friends coming around thought i was going crazy that was a long time ago and thank god its nothing like that now but still have anxiety in certain situations anxiety is one nasty thing. how about youself you dont have to say if you dont want to.
    • Posted

Yes I had all that a lot of years ago but this time it was due to work as I worked full time and have a 4 year old boy and was bullied by a girl at work and my confidence was knocked out of me and I was going down and down so left and couldn't go out of the house at first etc but so glad I'm feeling normal now and yes anxiety is an awful illness and can happen out of the blue or for reasons and I had counselling too which helped and I've been actively looking for a part time job since January

• Posted

i hate bullies the girl who bullied you was probably jealous of you but sounds like your on for right track now and its so hard to deal with anxiety when you have a child so your doing great you sound like your quite young i wont ask your age as i know its not good to ask a lady there age its good your now looking to get back into work i bet your son keeps you busy its always good to try and keep yourself busy when dealing with anxiety.
    • Posted

Haha I'm 43 and yes he keeps me on my ties but was very hard when I got the anxiety and had to look after him too when I didn't want to go anywhere but on the positive side I had to get out of bed for him so it did help and he's great I'm so lucky. I always keep busy I go walking meet friends now that I can and I do jigsaws at home when I'm in which I really enjoy. Do you work ?

• Posted

you no what i thought you was much younger then 43 im a decorator but had to stop working why im dealing with this i hate not doing anything its so frustrating anxiety i  thought you was around 30 ish are you a single parent looking after your son (you dont have to say) im 45 but a young 45 i must add so im told having your son has probably help you a long the way as like you say you had to get out of bed for him i bet he gives you the run around thats why you dont weigh nothing.
    • Posted

Hi yes I'm a single parent but I'm lucky my Mam and dad help out a lot and they live a minutes drive away so that's good. Yes get yourself better before you go back to work but it's good to be busy in looking forward to getting a job

• Posted

im also a single parent but but son is 23 and he is as tall as me and he is doing fantastic for his self so proud of him.you will get a job soon and its good to be around people when having depression. are you in the uk to sounds like you up north from me in the south
    • Posted

Yes I'm in the North East, good that your son is doing so well and I'm sure you will be back on track soon

• Posted

nice talking to you glad your on the right track im going to say goodnight as sleep is tough at the moment speak soon x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.