Increased dose a week ago ..

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hey all. I have been on 50mg of Zoloft for 2 months. At my checkup I mentioned I was still having trouble sleeping so my doctor increased my dose to 100mg. I took 75mg for one week the. Bumped up to 100mg. I have been on the 100mg for about 5 days. I am noticing now especially the last two days heightened anxiety, nausea and jittery. Is this normal? I had minimal side effects with the lower doses (some nausea waves but went away). 

Thanks!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Mandy, I have also been increased from 150mg to 200mg and although we all have an individual response to medication some things are comparable. The first two weeks of increased meds i felt dire; like you, anxious, insomnia, nausea and mood-swings. However now on the third week and it seems to be leveling out now so stick with it. 5 days is nothing and it takes time to settle (I know, like we have any patience's left!)  But you will feel better. I have suffered from sleep problems for years and this drug, although temperamental, has really improved my sleep so hang in there, it gets better, i promise. 

• Posted

Thanks so much for your feedback! I will hang in there and hope it evens out soon! 
  • Posted

Hi Mandy. My doctor increased my dose from 50 to 100 to 150 over five months. Although the depression has gone, my insomnia has been worse each time the medication was increased. Insomnia is a common side effect of Sertraline. I am thinking of coming off it as the restless nights are unbearable. I wonder how often people are prescribed sleeping tablets alongside sertraline? Apparently taking it in the morning rather than evening helps some people but not me. Good luck.
    • Posted

This interesting since when I mentioned I have trouble sleeping, my doctor recommended increasing my dose from 50 to 100, and trying melatonin if needed.... he did offer another medication for sleep too but it had a lot of side effects listed and I didn’t really want to go there so I’ve been muddling through but I am waking a lot through the night. sad
    • Posted

Thanks for that, Mandy. I know we all respond differently to medications. It is so hard to know what is best and how long to wait. I am dealing with the insomnia by drinking vodka at 3am which helps me fall asleep! I know this has its own health risks. It's strange but I feel fairly calm during the day but as soon as I go to bed I get all jittery and my heart pumps really hard. I must try some relaxation techniques. There is nothing worrying me so it is so frustrating. I've decided to reduce the Sertraline to 50mg in the morning and see how that goes before I go to my GP. I feel I am being a nuisance complaining about insomnia when the awful depression has lifted .

• Posted

Hi Helen. I am on week 2 of sertraline. Started on 25mg and now up to 50mg. In 2 weeks I've had little to no sleep (although as far as side effects the rest are manageable so far.) I tried a few beers to help me sleep without success. I did have one fairly good night when I found a sleep and anxiety hypnosis session on you tube. Maybe this will work for you. I have been back to my gp today and have been given 3.75mg zopiclone tablets so here's hoping they will work x good luck x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.