Increased doseage

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all,

I started 5mg Lexapro 12 days ago for anxiety.  I had a severe increase in anxiety and depression for the first several days after starting the Lexapro.  My doctor is now recommending I increase my doseage to 10mg but I am very worried about another increase in anxiety as I have to return to work tomorrow.  Would i have less risk of more side effects if I increase to 7.5mg for a few days before going all the way up to 10?  Or will any increase bring them on?  When I was on it in the past, I don’t remember side effects when I increased but I also don’t remember the start up side effects being so severe either!  Thanks!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I think increasing Beto 7.5mg will help minimize the side effects of the increase. See how your Dr feels about you increasing slowly. I have been on a number of these drugs. I’ve weaned off them & started on them. There’s no harm in taking it slow!

• Posted

Hi.

I seem to suffer extreme side effects too.

I was supposed to start at 20mg but started at 10 and had a terrible time so cut some off to about 7.5.. any change either gives me anxiety or side effects..

Its a shame because it works really well for my other issues. Ie..claustrophobia.

I can't see why you can't work up slowly..you have to feel comfortable and be able to function..see how you go at 7.5 for a week and if that goes well then you can up the dose.

After all my dramas, I've come to realise that I need to be in control of my meds and not just do as I'm told..lol.. I still listen to the doc but don't just follow without thought..

Hope this helps but some people can just stop, start and change with no repercussions but unfortunately I'm not one of them..

Can you let me know if you have any ideas how to get the 7.5 evenly...I'm just cutting a piece off each day which isn't very exact..best I can think of..good luck with your increase and I hope you don't get any side effects..

• Posted

Gina,

Buy a pill cutter from a drug store. It will help precisely cut the tablet. I know you probably have the 10mg tabs which makes 2.5mg tricky. However cutting them in half, then in half again can work. 

• Posted

That’s what I did last night with a pill cutter.  They did crumble a bit but I think I got it pretty close.  I took 7.5 last night and was a little jittery around 4am so took an Ativan.  Nothing like the initial start up though!  Whew!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.