Increased from 50mg to 100mg sertraline last week

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello all,

I started on 50mg of sertraline in the middle of August and after 6 weeks I still wasn't feeling myself so the GP increased this to 100mg last Thursday.

How long should I stay at the new dose before deciding whether to remain on it or going back down to 50mg?

I feel broadly the same as last week which is a shame as 50mg worked really well for me during a similar depressive episode last year. However this time around I still felt numb/sadness, lack of interest in things I used to enjoy and problems with concentration after 6 weeks.

Side effects wise the increase to 100mg hasn't been too bad though my stomach is sensitive and grumbling a lot, for which I have started drinking kefir (fermented yoghurt drink) and eating yoghurt.

Would it be safe to reduce back down to 50mg? The GP isn't easy to get hold of and he just suggested I increase the dose and see how I get on with them.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

They say that the second time around on the same antidepressant can and in a lot of cases does take a little longer then the first time, so possibly the 50mg would have been ok if given a little longer to kick in. Did you notice any positive signs in the 6 weeks you were back on it? If so, I would say that it more then likely was just taking a bit longer to get level and would have been ok. I personally would stick with the 50mg for a couple weeks longer at least and see if you start seeing results.

• Posted

Thank you for your response. I did see minor improvements in my sleep whilst on 50mg but I was still feeling low, disconnected to the world and people around me, concentration issues etc.

What you are saying does make sense perhaps I should have waited longer. Due to take the tablets shortly and not sure whether to return to 50mg or continue on 100mg...

• Posted

You could always continue on with the 100mg, and if it's too bothersome or you don't feel as if it's helping you can decrease.

• Posted

I would definitely give it more time and even consider increasing again. I know someone who was in your same situation and BOTH times with her (several years apart) it took her 13 weeks to feel like herself again on the meds.

• Posted

Thank you. I have stuck with 100mg. Things seem to be improving very very gradually so I hope things keep moving in that direction. I still have issues with concentration and making decisions and also have noticed difficulties in expressing myself verbally. It may just be the mental fogginess of depression but I hope it passes soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.