Increased heart rate after drinking?!

Posted , 4 users are following.

22 year old healthy female with rearing heart rate 55-60 usually, but after drinking ( not necessarily lots, 3-4) my heart rate shoots up to 100-120 even when lying in bed!

I've talked to the doctor about this but he dismissed it, but I'm still worried.

Is this normal?

Is it ok to take beta blockers to slow down my heart when it does happen?

I hate it so much, I don't drink very often but don't want to end up a teetotal 22 year old!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi I have this too.. just after a couple.. My body can't handle it anymore but I am highly anxious at the moment, sometimes I think a couple of beers will do me good but then I feel poorly again.. I'm laying off it until I feel better x

• Posted

Do you think it's partly to do with anxiety that I get the increased heart rate or is it a normal reaction coupled with that? Thanks x

• Posted

Hello have you bee prescribed Beta Blockers ???

You do not seem to have any problems, we all drink as that is part of life in the West.

Generally your heart rate is ok, mine is 128/84 and I am sixty six years old.

Anything above 140 is of interest although generally our blood pressure goes up as we enter the Surgery, that is why you need to rest and site for a time before having them read. Sometimes the GP will take readings about two to three times to make shure we are ok.

Stop worrying you are healthy, if you need further 

• Posted

The Autonomic Nervous System controls the cardiovascular system.  Dysautonomia is a spectrum of disorders that can negatively affect the heart, and beta blockers are used to stabilize the heart rate.  I'm not a teetotaler, but I stop at 1 - please forgive me for my purely personal opinion here - I am highly critical of anyone who believes that any particular quantity that physically affects them is "not a lot", the body is saying otherwise and the ANS is trying to communicate consciously it via anxiety.  Beta blockers have side effects and shouldn't be used purely to enable one to keep up with the drinking buddies.  Alcohol shouldn't be used to self-medicate anxiety - anxiety is frequently caused by the ANS that has been kicked into "fight-or-flight mode" by something going on in the digestive (food allergies, Celiac), cardiovascular (POTS), respiratory, metabolic, endocrine (diabetes), or immune (viral, infections, MCAS, etc.) systems.  This is emerging medical research within the past 10 years, most doctors see the body as nothing more than "pieces" and don't see how all these systems interact together.

• Posted

Hi, not using alcohol to self medicate but like having the opportunity to drink with friends! All I want to know is if a quite prominent increase in heart rate is a normal reaction?? Thanks
    • Posted

Dysautonomia International dot org - "Avoid Alcohol.  Alcohol can worsen symptoms for POTS patients. Alcohol is dehydrating and can lead to increased hypotension through dilation of the veins and thus should be avoided by most POTS patients."  Hypotension, or low blood pressure, may result in a higher heart rate as the Autonomic Nervous System tries to compensate, and a whole cascade of symptoms can develop.  It may ultimately require a choice between lifestyle and symptoms.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.