Increased heart rate and blood pressure after eating

Posted , 4 users are following.

After meals my blood pressure and heart rate increases. Sometimes it's to the point where I have to call an ambulance.

This has been going on for 8 months with no diagnosis.

I've seen a neurologist, cardiologist, and a GI.

I've had a hiatus hernia repair and my gallbladder removed during all the testing and the symptoms still exist.

The closest lead I have is Roemhold syndrome but it doesn't seem to exist on any big med websites and none of my doctors have ever heard of it.

im really at a loss at this point

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

It may be related to your meal. Though I did not have this level of issue, but as per my experience this may be caused by excessive amount of gas generating. Gas did use to increase my heart rate and chest pain confusing it with cardiac issues. Not sure, but may be walking for half an hour after the meals may help you get some relief? And exercises, morning walk did help me improve a little bit.

• Posted

I've changed my diet to remove all the bad stuff and still seems to happen. also had a food allergy test and came back negative for all.

I'm currently admitted at the hospital where I'm on a clear liquids only diet and I haven't had a major attack yet but even after drinking broth I get a mild increase in heart rate.

• Posted

I have found information on Roemhold syndrome online with just a simple google search.I didn't need to look very far and it was mentioned on a non medical site. I'm surprised your doctors haven't heard of it when it is so easy to get information on it. Perhaps change your doctor.

• Posted

i found it as well and told my doctors about it. the overall phenomenon of getting these symptoms after eating seems to be rare.

this is not just one doctor but multiple surgeons and doctors each with 20-30 years experience.

I'm currently admitted at the hospital so I'm asking everyone who comes in my room about it including cardio, neuro, and gi

they agree it sounds like the case they just cant find anything other than a non-sourced wiki article and 1 dr from the UK. it doesn't appear in their medical software they use. might be under a different name

• Posted

just lots of testing, another upper endoscopy tomorrow morning but not one doctor knows for sure, just assuming gas or bloating is pressing on the vagus nerve or heart

• Posted

The vagus nerve is very sensitive and passes through the digestive tract to the heart. Perhaps your endoscopy will show something. Best of luck.

• Posted

Hi j72416

Try eating smaller lighter meals throughout the day. Perhaps your digestive system has a hard time digesting heavier meals. Also, eat your meal slowly to give time for digestion...

• Posted

I've incorporated all of this into my eating routines and very small portions do seem to make it less severe or not happen but nothing else seems to have an impact. I've been in the hospital for almost a week on a clear liquids diet and still happens

• Posted

Hi j72416

Have they put you on a heart monitor (ECG) to test for blocked arteries...it could be you may have accelerosis and your heart pumps extra fast after you have eaten to get the blood through blocked arteries... our heart does beat a little faster and bp goes up slightly after food, but not to the point of making us ill....ask the doctors about that if it hasn't been spoken about already.....

• Posted

Hi j72416

I have just read from another post that they have symptoms of racing pulse and heart pumping faster with sweats and she has 'diverticulitis' a colon problem..ask about that too...

• Posted

Hi j72416

i am sending you the post...do you have bowel probs?image

• Posted

thank you Mary, I will ask the doctors to test for this.

• Posted

Hi j72416

I do hope doctors find what is going on with you. It's half the battle if you can get a diagnosis....best wishes..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.