Increased heart rate on sertraline. Anyone else?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Started 25mg sertraline two months ago and halfway through I couldn't handle waking up to 160/98 blood pressure and high pulse. I started cutting back on pills. Doctor doesn't think it's the pills but I have read about this happening. So I am down to about 12.5 mg. Still waking up with this and then i listen to meditation videos and relax. A couple hours later it happens again. So worried about this and hoping that it is just the pill. Would love to hear your experiences on this nasty drug so I don't feel so alone. I read that Mayo clinic said the anxiety pills can increase blood pressure.

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I believe with any new medication or dose change there are side effects. When I had my dosage increased on the sertraline, up from 100 mg to 150 mg, I noticed all sorts of things and yes, an increased heart rate was one of them. I also found that for the first 45 minutes after taking sertealine, I would feel jittery. I'm on week 9 now of the increased dosage and it doesn't do this anymore.

I think your body was trying to stabilize itself on the sertraline and now that you've reduced your dosage it probably won't restabilize for a few weeks again.

I think it probably had more to do with the anxiety of taking the medicine itself. In the beginning I had a little anxiousness about taking it and so I would feel anxious. But yes, I can say that sometimes in the beginning it can make you anxious which in turn increases your pulse rate and makes you feel jittery.

• Posted

Hi Carole, my experience has been a roller coaster. I am on 50mg zoloft. May 6 will be month 2 for me. It was real hard the first 3 to four weeks, even week 5 was not that great. I would have severe anxiety attacks. This is one of the side effects, in the mean time I get racing heart, it has calmed down though. One morning I woke up and my left one was blurry, it didn't last long. So I went to my doctor the same day and he said not to worry because if it was a side affect I would have had it 3 to 4 hours after taking my pill the day before. I seem to get my anxiety in the morning, just about when my pill is due. I'm slowly putting the pieces together. Mornings are when our cortisol is highest and with my pill from the day before waning off could be the reason for my anxiety. I'm not a doctor but sometimes you have to listen to your inner self. People on this forum is the best so I bet you'll get alot of advice. Hang in there. Hope this helped some.🤔

• Posted

Zoloft could do either, raise or lower, blood pressure. However, this medication, although of course having the potential, usually does not heighten or raise the blood pressure. More likely, it would lower the blood pressure; again, however, both are not common. You need to ensure that your provider monitors your blood pressure at each visit, and if you notice, anything, that is not a daily normal occurence for yourself or your body, you need to call your provider immediately. Best Wishes.
  • Posted

Sertraline made me very tense..but my no actually lowered..and I have normally high bp which I take meds for.. Was on for 3 months and now switched to citalopram. Good luck! Peace to you...there are many other choices..
  • Posted

I have the same problem. I'm on 50mg and my hypertension comes in the evening. It drives me crazy. 

?I've been on this for two months as well. I still feel the tension side effects at least I think its the side effects. I am clenching my teeth and its painful.  I'm praying that this passes soon. I started taking Melatonin at bedtime and I finally sleep well. I have Ativan  but I don't like to have to take it. 

• Posted

Hi Deborah,

Did your hypertension after sertraline dosage stays high even after taking a blood pressure meds? Did this hypertension dissapeared later on or did you discontinued sertraline treatment? Thank You for your help. Rob

• Edited

It's the pills combined with your unique metabolism - you may be a slow metabolizer and building up high levels of serotonin causing some kind of serotonin syndrome. SSRI's may not be for you.

I've been on 50mg for two weeks and have had terrible sweaty nights with no sleep. This week it started occuring every time I would just start dropping off to sleep, only to suddenly wake up with a racing heart and high blood pressure. Last night was insane - blood pressure 184/110 & heart rate 100 all night. I'm quitting.

• Posted

Hi Mike,

Same issue,for three days now my bp is 160/100 i am now on 50mg for 12 days and i was on 25mg for 18days. Sweating a lot too and not much of a sleep, Did you quit cold turkey? I am around a month on them and i can't let this meds to play with my bp because i am on blood pressure meds as well. Thanks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.