Increased hot flashes after steroid injection.

Posted , 11 users are following.

I have a question. I am in menopause...had labs done which confirmed it. I've done well with hot flashes...having them mostly through the night and waking up a few times but no big sweats it anything.

Well...3 days ago I had a steroid injection in my shoulder joint. Since then the hot flashes have been horrible! Still mostly at night but way more intense and I am like a furnace most of the night. I wake up so many times through the night I barely get any sleep and my whole body is hot all over! Sweating now too but not soaking pajamas. During the day I'm pretty much ok....except if I eat chocolate. I hope this is just from the steroid...which I guess is adding more hormone to my system.

Has anyone else experienced this?

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I had a steroid injection in my knee last Thursday.  Last night experienced my first ever night sweat.  I am 52. I went to Cvs today and purchased Menstrual Support by Cvs .  I have been dizzy, nauseous, hot and cold but my knee feels good.  I have not had blood work done as I am going to my gynecologist in July.   I just hope the supplement helps me feel better.  Thank you ladies for posting your reactions. 
    • Posted

Hi. One thing that did really help when I had a single shot was to take 2 benadryl right before the injection. Then I would take 2 more in the evening and that really helped. The times I didn't take benadryl were much worse. That's so young to be post-menopausal. I hope you feel better.

• Posted

OMG I want to thank you. I'm going to try the Benadryl tonight. Averaging about 30 hot flashes throughout the day and night. I have lupus and I am in a horrible flare up. The doctor gave me a mega dose of steroids.

• Posted

Thanks for bringing up the topic and hope all is well for you now.

I'd appreciate any advice. I got a Depo Medrol corti shot in both January and late April for bouts of bronchitis and allergies. This second one immediately caused some hives, then instant strong anxiety, then headaches. It has gone one for months....headaches subsided but were replaced with purpura spots and bad night sweats every night for about a month. Anxiety is still bad and on xanax, but needless to say, I have gone on long enough with that.

Since this all seems very hormone related, I assume it has just thrown hormones and/or adrenals totally out of whack, but it has been almost 4 months now! Does anyone think bioidentical progesterone cream or maybe Holy Basil might help straighten things out? I can't go on like this....it is truly been pretty incapacitating all summer.

BTW, I am postmenopausal, 62 years old. I actually had one of these same shots before menopause many years ago, and it caused me to spot for six months (although the doctor said he'd never heard of such a thing, of course, like they always say.) It also left a dent in my hip. Swore I'd never get one again, but was so sick this past winter that they talked me into it....and now I pay the price!

• Posted

how awful for you!!!! im sorry, not much help here, but i am not surprised the steroid caused the intense hot flashes. steroids=more chemistry added to a system that is already coping with huge chemistry flux. Im praying you feel better soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.