increased pain

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, i have posted on her several times having had bilateral sciatica since May 2018. I have started to get an increase in my pain in my back and buttocks. My physio said it will get worse as its healing. Has anyone else found this? I take naproxen twice daily and have increased the cocodamol but, keep feeling nauseous. I am so feb up of this all i want to do is cry. I keep working but, the driving is making the pain worse too (driving is part of my job). I get my MRI next week.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Don't know if I've already responded to you...so...

I had the same thing 8 months after a TKR..."sciatica" down BOTH legs. I've had tons of sciatica events over the decades but this was different since it was on both sides where sciatics is usually one side. Same pain as you...could barely walk 100 feet.

Nothing worked so I went to my neurosurgeon. Did a CT/Myelogram with contrast (better than an MRI). Confirmed that I had bilateral foraminal stenosis at L2/L3. This is where the vertebrae are too close together and narrow the foramina...the canals in your spine that the nerve roots pass through. Any compression there will impact the nerves on both sides.

The goal is to widen the distance between the two vertebrae, open up the foraminal canals and take the pressure off the nerves. This is done with a Lateral Lumbar Interbody Fusion (LLIF) where they drill out the disk, insert a device and expand it (like a car jack) to widen the gap. IMMEDIATE relief, one night in the hospital, no rehab, no brace. Miracle op.

Recommendation is to see a neurosurgeon and get the CT/M test done.

• Posted

my husband is going thru the same thing but is finally getting better after 10 weeks and seemed ri to get worse as the weeks went by he has been going to physical therapy the last 5 weeks and is finally getting better rhw physical therapist said his piraformus muscle is loosening up

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.