INCREASED PAIN from Methotrexate!!

Posted , 30 users are following.

I took my first dose of 6 - 2.5mg pills last night for my arthritis.  Woke up a few hours later in the most excruciating joint pain I have ever had--in EVERY joint including my knuckels of my fingers.  Anyone ever experience this crazy reaction to this medication??

1 like, 58 replies

58 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Yes..I think methotrexate is not effective for every type of RA.. and this is what happened with me, as it were poison or arsenic to my body.. This drug drastically INCREASED my inflammation triggering the wost pain ever. Methotrexate depletes folic acid instantaneously which I found then triggered many other difficiencies that had me in extreme all over pain for 2+ yrs. I found that a good multivitamin was very much needed along with very imp supplements, and strictly watching gluten and dairy, absolutely no alcohol, that has taken away my pain for 4+ yrs except for an ocassional flair. The much needed supplements to put my body back in sync were magnesium glycinate, D3 with calcium, and fish oil capsules..and 1 mg folic acid daily. I do not take methotrexate,biologics, sulfa drugs..but do take plaquenil and mobic for my RA. The methotrexate was poison for me.
    • Posted

Dear Cheria:

All I can say is " WOW" and thank you. When I told my own GP about the pain he said he never heard of such a thing. I'm so glad you responded. What I will do, with your permission, is print your reply and show it to him and my rheumi. It sounds like you got the condition under control and without the drugs. Once again thanks so much for your reply.

• Posted

Hi Jacob,

Your so welcome :-D... yes, i am in remission... I do take plaquenil for the RA and an anti inflammatory (mobic) and have changed my whole diet and lifestyle. I studied up on all the diferent things that cause or contribute to inflammation (stress, lack of 10 1/2 -12 hrs sleep, lifestyle, gluten, dairy, beef, spaghetti sauce, soy, sugars, etc), and changed much of my diet and habits..integrated fresh green smoothies made with almond or coconut milk and fresh antioxidant fruits , and all the suppliments and vitamins that are needed to be in balance with each other for proper absorption and need to be able to be absorbed daily... I take a good multi vitamin, 500 to 1000 mg calcium with 1000mg D3, magnesium glycinate, 2 to 4 fish oil capsules, sometimes B complex and stay on top of all dental infections or needed extractions that need to be addresses..taken care of ( do not agree to have root canals bec of the high chance of having pockets of bacteria in the root system that can become systemic and hugely contribute to RA inflammatory conditions) ..because it took a while to get stablized and off methotrexate, sulfa medications, ans off biologics, i do have some joint damage...but for about 4 yrs, my inflammation markers have been low and stabllized with about 1 flare yrly.. I also usually take 5 mg daily prednisone to keep me free of flareups. Best of luck to you!!

• Posted

Dear Cheria:

can't thank you enough for all the insight and info you just gave me.  I thought that this was a life sentence with no help on the horizon.  The doctors here in Miami Beach are so totally in the dark when it comes to certain diseases.  It seems autoimmune conditions and their treatments are not their forte. I will show both my doctors all you have written andI will start to follow the same course of action you have undertaken.  I probably will consult with a nutritionist and use the doctors for the more usual medical needs.

Thanks again.

• Posted

Dear Jacob,

I wish you the very best. I feel its super important to be proactive in our health and find myself striving to keep my adrenal glands healthy, as they become exhausted from extended prednisine use and other aspects of the RA disease.. Very important. I wish you the very best.

• Posted

cheria - I read your posts with interest. I'll share your med regimen info with my rhuma. My MTX treatment helps my RA pain somewhat, but causes terrible muscle and bone pain. I do take all the supplements you mention (plus others), but still am in pain and brain fog. How are you doing now? Is your treatment still helping? I would love to hear how your continued care is helping you and others. Thank you.

• Posted

I took my 1st set of 5 methotrexate pills last night and had a similar reaction.  Took them at 10pm by 2:30am was awake feeling like all my joints where in a vice being crushed.  I did not take the nabumetone NSAIDS and wondering if that contributed to the pain level.  Did you stop taking any other prescription at the same time starting methotrexate 
    • Posted

Hi VJ, its extremely important to take your anti inflammatory (nsaid) daily. This is critical for pain management and is needed in addition to or by itself when trying to find RA medications that help to control the disease and pain. Unfortunately, I found that methotrexate and biologics caused terrible joint and muscle pain, fibromyalga, lowered immune system, induced infections, fatique, multiple flares, magnesium deficiency (replace with magnesium glycinate, not magnesium oxide), and dental infections. Plaquinil is the only RA med that has been quite effective without side effects.even though it takes 2 months or so to get into your system to fully saturate blood cells. I take an anti inflammatory with this (mobic), tramadol for damage to joints from not being managed before plaquinil, 5 mg daily of prednisone and a vitamin and mineral regime including magnesium glycinate, 1200 mg calcium carbonate (1:1 ratio), 2000 mg D3, and a multi vitamin. These together are resp for over 350 enzyme reactions including muscle, bone, nervous system, protein synthesis and cognition.
  • Posted

I have had the pains in different joints but i found the pains in the hands were unbearable the only relief i got was when i placed my hands in water as hot as i could stand and keep bending and stretching the fingers if you can. i am 56 and have had RA for 7 years i take 20mg of methotraxate
  • Posted

Hi everyone. It's jacob75577. Sorry I have been remiss in answering you wonderful fellow sufferers but I have been busy medically and with my business these past couple of months.  

After my debacle with the methotrexate my rheumy put me on remicade.  I have had three infusions so far and it has made a world of difference. My pain is virtually gone and I'm in much better spirits.  During the interim I had a cataract operation on my left eye (no doubt helped to be brought on by all the prednisone I took) and that was very successful. Prior to taking the remicade I had to take a specific blood test for tuberculosis.  Well after three positive results for "latent tuberculosis" I also had to start taking a drug called isoniazid. I will be on this once-a-day pill for nine months (yes that's a 9).  Not so bad except no alcohol of any kind until next February.  Ah the things we give up for science. Anyway I just wanted to bring myself up to date in the group. I hope all of you are doing better and are managing your pain successfully. 

• Posted

Thank you for your update jacob. You went to quite an extreme jump going from methotrexate, which is a beginning RA treatment, to the last resort, and with very high ratings contributing to lymphoma cancer, remicade. Of all the reviews and testimony i have found, all those with RA, that contracted the fatal cancer, all were on remicade. In addition, you are taking this last resort drug with a diagnosis of TB?????Have you done your research in this very dangerous combination?
    • Posted

Have you dine your research on this last resort fatal Lymphoma Cancer and TB triggering Remicade (part human, part mouse antibodies)????? You should NEVER take this drug with a latent TB diagnosis, and that Remicade will induce full blown TB with anyone who tests positive for latent TB??? This is irreversable and a very painful fatal drug induced disease!!!! The isoniazid is a chemo type drug! Have you seriously done your research?? You are this doctors guinea pig!!!!!!
  • Posted

Hi jacob75577 Took my first Methotrexate shot 0.03 on the 29th it made me have more aches and pains in my entire body including a Stomach ache since then told the nurse I'm not taking anymore the side effects are too bad    

Feel better 

• Posted

Dear Sandra:

It's been months since I had that nightmare with methotrexate. Since then I tried three other biotics, more prednisone, and that awful INH for the latent TB. Well my liver numbers went through the roof so I had to stop the INH and therefore all the other "wonder" drugs. I'm now drug-free but unfortunately in constant and unrelenting pain. I was scheduled to go to the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota for a full work-up but a serious problem with another family member delayed that. The only relief I get is from Aleve but I must watch my liver numbers.

I hope you are feeling better.

• Posted

So sorry you're in pain so am I still in stomach pain no more Methotrexate for me hope you can still get to the Mayo Clinic

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.