Increased thirst in relapse

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi there!

I've had a setback and the dreaded increased thirst has returned amongst the other symptoms...... I'm not diabetic as have been tested.

Every time I relapse/crash for a period of time this happens and it gradually goes after a number of weeks/months until I'm better again and am symptom free.

I read online that some people have been treated with electrolytes to help this. Has anyone tried this and if so has this helped at all?

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Oh wow, i never realized my constant thirst was related to my CFS! I too have been tested for diabetes, more than once.

I'm interested to see what advice others offer.

Sarah 😊

• Posted

Apparently Nancy Kilmas an MD in the US treats patients with electrolytes. There's stuff on the web about salt intake too, all to do with blood volume. A bit beyond me but I'm desperate to get better again!

• Posted

Hi Sarah,

Do you have increased thirst all the time or does it come and go?

Jane

• Posted

Hi Polly, it comes and goes but as I've never attributed to my CFS I've not taken any notice of when it occurs.

it's interesting that salt is mentioned as I never add salt to my diet and don't eat processed food so my salt intake is low. I have blood pressure that is at the high end of normal and was advised to cut it down.

I'll have a read about and report back if more salt in my diet cures this pain in ar** condition.

Sarah

• Posted

Hi Sarah

Thanks for this and please do. I've had a look and apparently it does help some people when they crash. So many weird symptoms to this blooming condition!

Have a goodnight.

• Posted

YES! my sodium level has been it as low 120. (135 to 145 normal sodium level) i have been hospitalized four times for IV sodium. i have had a long struggle with blood pressure. Since 1998 my blood pressure has dropped as low as 60/40 and then most recently it was 190 I cannot remember the lower number. I have been diagnosed with ATONOMIC dysfunction. also been diagnosed with neurally mediated hypertension in which the brain sends Wrong symptoms. i now take sodium pill and drink sports drink. Open experience extreme thirst. I have been told there is no cure except to treat the symptoms. I am from the USA. I’m exhausted and need to go to bed. You are the first person I know that has had this experience with the sodium/ electrolytes.

• Posted

Hi Robin

Thanks for your reply. I suffer with low blood pressure too which isn't helping. I tried some electrolyte sachets yesterday and it didnt make any difference. I think I'm going to ask my doctor his advice on this as I'm not too sure if this is the way forward without medical advice........

• Posted

I was bedridden for two years 1996 through 1998. Then I heard a doctor speak about neurally mediated hypotention from blood pooling in the legs he recommend a medication called Florinef . after that I was able to walk. Although still very very weak I could get out and walk short distances. I need to walk briskly that kicks the blood back to my heart. but I am unable to do any shopping, museums, state fair. anything that involves walking slow like shopping for groceries etc. my legs become like Jell-O. I now pay people to grocery shop for me and run errands. But I’m very grateful I can go for brisks walks- on good days.

• Posted

I was on the florinef for several years then because of my liver disease my PCP suggested I go off the florinef. but that was a miracle drug for me. Hi still have all of the symptoms and flareups with my blood pressure and sodium but I’m functioning much better.

• Posted

I get increased thirst too when in relapse!!! I've been tested for diabetes too and don't have it. I never though it might be an CFS symptom but maybe that explains it. I feel like that just now. I've drank 5 glasses of water this morning, a cup of tea, a glass of cranberry juice, had some porridge with milk and a banana and I'm still really thirsty. I'm curious to see if anyone has any helpful suggestions. Thanks for highlighting this as a possible CFS symptom as I thought it was just me!!!

• Posted

Hi Elaine

Thanks for your reply. Are you in relapse now?

• Posted

Hi Polly

Yes, unfortunately I slipped a disc in my back earlier in the year and was also on antibiotics so too many appointments, physio, etc have totally wiped me out and no signs of picking up any time soon. I'm thinking of trying a higher strength vitamin supplement as I'm also struggling having the energy to cook and eat at the moment so I'm probably now deficient in something. I need a healthy me to cook for the unhealthy me!!! I've mentioned my thirst before to the doctor who just told me to drink more water after my test was clear of diabetes. I'm still really thirsty just now even though I've been drinking loads of water all day - if I drink any more I feel like I'll burst! At times when I'm feeling better I don't have the constant thirst so not really sure what causes it or what the answer is. Hope you pick up again soon!

• Posted

Hi Elaine,

Sorry to hear this. It sounds like its been one thing after the other for you.

I got sinusitis in Jan, took antibiotics and had had a stressful time towards the end of last year. I'm going through the change and that has caused relapses over the past five years too. I know when the thirst decreases along with the fatigue, muscle pain and twitching etc I'm on my way to recovery, but it takes time......

Anyway, I hope you start to improve for you too!

• Posted

Hi Polly

Sounds like you've had a hard time too lately. I don't think our bodies cope well with any additional stresses or infections when we have CFS. I'm also going through the change and my symptoms have definitely got worse. I had glandular fever in my late 20s, was bedridden, struggled back to work part time then had very bad relapse and lost my job. I then improved a lot through diet, pacing, gentle walking and yoga in my late 30s and 40s but since starting to go through the change in my late 40s it's like I've got back in time and all my symptoms have come back again. Although speaking to other people who don't have CFS and are going through the change I've noticed that they are all struggling with fatigue, brain fog and muscle and joint pains too which are a lot of the symptoms of CFS so if you've got CFS and the change it's like having a double helping of symptoms!!!

I live in hope that things will sort themselves out again soon and hope you find some relief too. Hope you have a good weekend and get to enjoy some sunshine!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.