Increased TSH level

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hii,

Recently diagnosed with Thyroid, TSH : 9.22, T3 : 112, T4: 8.7, Vitamin D : 8.4ng/ml , Vitamin B 12: 137 pg/ml. Hb: 9.22 . is it very serious condition 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hello Archana:

My name is Shelly and I am a nurse in the USA.  I have Hashimoto's Thyroid disease since 1987.

Thyroid disease is very treatable.  Hypothyroid disease can be from a family trait or a problem from a nasty virus called Epstein-Barr.  Some people are born with it.

Your blood work  T3 and T4 are 2 of the major hormones in the thyroid and the levels shoud be the floowing.

T3-   2.6 to 5.7 and Ithink you meant 1.12 not 112.  So you would be low

T4-   9 to 19  and you are at 8.7 so it looks a bit low there.

TSH is a sensor hormone called Thyroid Stimulating Hormone.  It should be  0.45 to 4.50. This hormone gives an overall view of how the gland is working.

You are 9.22 which means you are HYPO.  Higher end is HYPO (under active) and low end is Hyper (over active).

We can live good lives as long as you take your thyroid medication everyday.

Levo must be taken without food and you must wait 1 hour before eating. Food will block the medication.

I hope this helps,

Shelly

• Posted

Hi ShellC19. 

I just saw your reply that it has to be “1.12” not the “112”. 

I just received 2 of my results so far and they are:  “T-S is  .9”; and “T3 is ‘112’”

I went back and double checked b’cuz of what you said. What it means, I have no idea. I only know I’ve felt horrible for months, gained 70 lbs in 6 months & cant lose it. My dr told me “go to weight watchers/ all newlyweds gain weight!”  I’ve changed drs! Serious Thyroid problems run in family!  Do you know what I’m facing?  Waiting on rest of the tests. 

• Posted

Hello Jane:

T3: 1.12 is low for T3 and that means Hypothyroid. The Thyroid is a gland that controls weight & Metabolism.  You will gain weight like crazy.  I did and it hits ages 20 to 45 mostly and women more than men. First sign is weight gain and fatigue/sleepiness.

Yes, it runs in families.  So get a better doctor and get to see an Endocrinologist Or as we say ENDO for short.  Our thyroids also go off after a pregnancy.  Stress can also effect it/abusive relationships too.

Some more blood work is needed like ESR (a test to see inflammation in the body) ANA direct TGab antibodies.

This is not about  newlyweds or some other weight issue.  Women get thyroid problems and once you are on replacement hormones you will lose the weight.

Symptoms of low thyroid  (HYPOTHYROID), are: low pulse, low temp, feeling cold, weight gain despite diet, sleepy/tired despite rest, abnormal periods, nails that break, bruises, dry skin and tongue, unable to concentrate on a task, constipation, muscle aches and pains, feeling depressed and more, these are common.

There is a form of thyroid disease called Hashimoto's and I have that and it runs in families and you need the antibody tests for that to be diagnosed.

TSH is a hormone sensor and should be 0.45 to 4.20 with most people at 1.0 to 3.0.

T4  hormone should be 9 to 19.

If you can please post each result and write carefully in or scan it the levels here so I can see them.

I think you have the early phases of Hypothyroidism.  It is treatable and livable as long as you get the proper meds.

Keep me posted, any questions just ask,

Shelly

• Posted

ShellyC19,

Thank you so much!

Just perfectly described me!  I’ve actually had these symptoms off and on beginning with having  my daughter 31 years ago but they’d go up/down; on/off thru 4 pregnancies, 2 marriages. And, yes it does run in my family. My mom was so bad they gave her a nuclear med to kill hers. 

In 2012 I had a hysterectomy due to mass tumors. 

A year ago, I “fled” from a DV situation after almost being beaten to death.  Now that I’m settled, have a “God given husband” and an amazing life, well it’s just getting worse and worse. I almost couldn’t make it back to bed last night I was so exhausted from sitting on the couch all day writing my new book!”  

I will keep you posted or if you’d like, you can contact me at my business email:

Again, thank you and God bless you,

Barbie 

Moderator comment: I have removed the email address as we do not publish these in the forums. If users wish to exchange contact details please use the Private Message service.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

Hello Jane:

You can Private Message me by looking at my profile and send me your e-mail that way. 

I know how it is to be sick and not diagnosed.  I was ill at age 12 but in the early 1970's doctor's did not  do any thyroid blood work on teens.  Now they do! 

You are not alone, and that is why many of us on this forum understand and can help guide you through this.

From what you say and knowing all the symptoms & Blood levels, you are Hypothyroid and need to see an Endocrinologist.  Once you are on meds things will get better.

Contact me on Private message.  Any questions just ask,

Shelly

• Posted

Hello Archana

B-12 is a vitamin and you are a bit Low in it.  It should be 211 to 946 and you are at 137.  You take B 12 tablets and they can also give you injections.  This helps to make you build Red Blood cells and keeps the body from pernicious anemnia.

HB is Hemoglobin you need to be 12 to 14 and you are at 9.2   Hemoglobin is needed to carry oxygen in the body & you may need Iron tablets to help bring it up and it helps the thyroid med work.

You should eat Liver, Kale, wheat bread, spinach, kidney beans, as thes have good iron levels in them.

Levo must be taken by itself and vitamins about 4 hours later.  We need good levels of Vitamins and minerals in the body.

Shelly

• Posted

Thank You Shelly , I appreciate ur help to patients like us . I will start vitamin suppliments along with some changes in my diet chart. To improve my Hb since 2 months i am drinking Beetroot juice but the outcome is not that significant . 

Once aftr medication if my levels come to normal than to i have to take these medicene lifelong??? . wat  u say  abt it ??.Is there fair chances that my kids will have thyroid problem if i conceive after my treatment is done ?

• Posted

Hello Archana:

Yes, the medication is for life.  I now how it feels as I have been on meds since 1987.  Sadly we do not have a way to regrow a new thyroid gland or to transplant one now. Maybe some day they will have a way with stem cells.

I have Hashimoto's Thyroid disease and it is passed on via DNA.  It can skip generations and women get it more than men.  Other forms of Hypo are from low iodine in the diet.  Some cancers can damage to the gland. Lupus and Diabetes can cause the thyroid trouble.

If you are trying to have children, you must have stable thyroid levels and during pregnancy your meds may be changed.  They will monitor you closely. 

Iron can be found in Liver, wheat bread, kidney beans, spinach, Kale, and of course in some other items.  Diet changes will help the thyroid and immune system.  So avoid Gluten.

I hope this helps,

Shelly

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.