Increasing dose of fluoxetine

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been on fluoxetine for nearly 15 weeks and I have upped my dose to 40mg nearly 4 weeks ago . My anxiety has hit the roof and I'm feeling very fatigued and low . Has anyone else experienced this ? Thought as I had had already been on 20 mg upping the dose would not feel this bad . I feel like have started back on them again

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi andrea iv been on 40mg for 3 weeks now and think looking to increase tomorrow.. I have found my axiety to be no better, i am somewhat now content but fidgety i sleep between 2-6 hours a night which is adding to me feeling quite down.. im aprehensive about my dose going up but iv gotta give it a go if it lifts my mood.. 
    • Posted

Hi koo thanks for replying yes I'm so apprehensive to upping my dose too . Not sure if I want to try another medication but terrified of being weaned off fluoxetine. Have to tried deep sleep hypnosis on you tube before you go to bed - it's very good . It's my mood that seems very low at the moment . I feel very spacey again like when I first took the medication also feel nauseous again . It's gotta be the side effects of upping ?

• Posted

i dont eat for days because if it doesnt wat to stay down i have hours of reaching afterwards, im aware not eating doesnt help at all but the extra pain i go thro id prefer to do without.. mu body wants to rest but my mind is saying no your not allowed and i just keep wandering around.. im depressed because of the state im in but the 40mg hasnt given any courage so to speak to be out amoungst people so its a catch 22 situation.. i live on an estate which i recon they think im now neighbourhood watch the amount of times i walk around it... but i just cant settle and feel i have any peace to relax.. its like im not allowed 
    • Posted

You must eat . So important. I know what you mean I am always walking round my neighborhood . But it's good your getting out . Do u read books ? Reading a great book how to master anxiety. Or read a book that interests you . I am exactly the same tired but can't relax at the moment.

• Posted

Hi Andrea What you are feeling is not surprising! Whenever you up the dose of these meds the anxiety hits the roof. It takes at least 6 weeks to settle and with me on 20mg  it took me six months to feel completely anxiety free.

You would have possibly been better increasing by 10 mg at first for a few weeks and then another 10 mg. 

you must also come off these drugs very very slowly or else the anxiety symptoms come back with a vengeance.

Recovery is a slow process with both forward and backward progress. Measure your improvement in months not days! And try not to place too much importance on setbacks they are all part of the recovery process.

This is a long slow progress to recovery but these meds do work in time but you need both patience and persistence. I've been there twice now and just slowly weaning off for the second time I'm down to 5mg of Lexapro which is escitalopram but it will take months.

Happy to help anytime xx

• Posted

Thank you so much Felis . Did go up to 30 mg for 3 weeks then 40 mg . But just so frustrated as I've been on 15 weeks x yes your probably right x thanks for your positive words . I am due back to work not sure I can go .

• Posted

No I stayed only on 20mg ever and in time it worked for me perfectly. I was eventually changed to .lexapro but only took 10mg. I have felt fantastic now for two years or more on these meds and now weaning back slowly to 5mg for a few more months. The only issue I have had is weight gain, that's why I'm slowly weaning off.

your situation could take longer before the benefit kicks in but I'm sure it will just live one day at a time and it definitely will get better in time.xx

• Posted

Hello Andrea,

im much the same as you, as soon as i started higher dose ive had dry retching, bit of vomit. Feels like morning sickness. Im very down too, im into my Fifth week of 40 mg. ive read it can be like starting from scratch again. I bought peppermints, its supposed to help, also had some ginger cordial. I thought id see improvement by now, im still trying to do everything i can to keep feeling positive! We will do this! The only way is up now!🌺

• Posted

Hi carol thanks for your reply much appreciated. Yes I'm the same nearly 4 weeks on new dose . No panic attack just low mood and very fatigued. It's like starting g over again . Seeing doc today not sure what to do either come off fluoxetine or bare with it . Due on work thurs not sure if I'm ready but I need my routine back. I really didn't think upping dose would be this hard .

• Posted

Hello Andrea,

how are you feeling now? Did you manage to go back to work ok?

i do hope you are improving, its such a long slow process! Ive managed a little holiday and i travelled ok, anxiety is less now which is wonderful.

sending you healing vibes.

🌺

• Posted

Hi carol lovely to hear from you .

I'm back to work 2 hours a day . My anxiety has hit back again . It's been bad . Not sure my upped dose is balancing right yet. Been on the higher dose 7 weeks. Well done on you going on a little holiday . That's brilliant news. Trying to keep positive but it's been hard . I can't sit still for very long times . Thank you xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.