Increasing lethergy and exhaustion

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi I'm new to the Forum and am desperate for advice.I've been taking 20mg Citralopram for 3 weeks.For the first few days I felt sick but thankfully this has now passed but I am becoming increasingly more lethargic and exhausted. I felt like this before taking Cit, but I feel much worse now.I'm finding it difficult to function normally and when I force myself to do something it doesn't help to make me feel livelier it just makes me feel worse.

I've read that this is a common side effect of Cit. but how long does it last? If it continues I would much rather feel how I did before I started taking it.

My Dr said to go back to see him after I'd been taking it for 6 weeks but I've made an appointment to see him next week which will be 4 weeks.I'd really appreciate hearing from anyone who has experienced this when taking Citralopram and to know if it disappeared with time and left them feeling better,

Thank you

rose d

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Rose, Yes i felt exactly the same at first...felt more tired and exhausted than ever before, but i would say that lifted after a few weeks of taking citalopram. I have been taking 10mg for almost five months now and no question about it feel a lot better than i did before taking them although i do have the occasional blip day and get some strange headaches at times. Hope that helps you.
  • Posted

Thank you so much for your reply.Good to hear it has worked for you.I've been feeling so bad that I was becoming convinced that I must have a physical illness as I feel I'm just dragging myself around and feel I'm getting worse daily.

Rose D

• Posted

Hi Rose,

It took me about 7 weeks before the lethargy/lack of motivation completely lifted.I think it has something to do with Cit unbalancing the balance with dopamine (what gives you that get up and go feeling) x

• Posted

Thank you Grace.I was feeling ready to give up and stop taking Cit because I was thinking 3 weeks should have been long enough for me to adjust to it.Knowing that it has taken 7 weeks for you is helpful. smile

Rose x

• Posted

I've now been taking Citalopram for 41/2 weeks and am pleased to say I'm feeling less lethargic and exhausted than I did at 3 week stage when I was nearly ready to give it up.I still feel tired but feel capable of functioning now and my mood is brighter than it has been for a long time.I've still got a long way to go but am beginning to believe things will improve.Thank you for the advice given and I hope this helps others feeling the way I did.

Rose

• Posted

hi just read your story. it tkes about 6-7 weeks to feel the citalopram kick in. thank god for cit i was soooo ill before startin them. my message to you is give them a chance they could make a diffrence. if your tired all the time your body is telling you to rest iv learned not to fight it rest as much as you can its part of your recovery. good luck smile
  • Posted

Hi Rose just read your story ive been on Cit for 5 weeks now and starting to feel less tired now what time of the day do u take it? i switched from taking it in the morning to the evening i take it about 7pm that way i start to feel tired i can just go to bed . Hope you start to feel less tired soon :D
  • Posted

hi everyone, i asked dr. advice about best time to take cit and i was told to take it in the morning cos it has the wrong effect if taken at night, hope this helpful. :?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.