INCREASING METAZAPINE FROM 30 MG TO 45 MG

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have now been taking Metazapine 30 mg for 7 weeks and today is the worst day I have had since taking them. I went to the doctor's the other day and she said she wouldn't have any hesitation in putting me on the 45 mg. I said I would like to wait for 2 weeks to see what happens. She said that all Antidepressants take weeks to kick in.

I used to be on Venlafaxine and within 2 weeks I would be back to normal. I was on them for 10 years. I used to come off them after about a year but would always have to go back on them eventually. Then a GP friend asked why I kept coming off them so I decided to stay on them. Then they stopped working and I was tried on various SSRIs which didn't work. I am hesitant about taking the 45 mg in case I get some of the awful side feeects that I read about on this Forum.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hey Pat, sorry to hear you're not good again. I stayed on mirtazapine 30mg for 10weeks before upping. It can take up to 8 so maybe worth holding on another week? I was very up and down on 30mg but finally now 3weeks after upping to 45mg I'm feeling much better!! Mirtazapine gives an initial good first relief but after a few weeks it goes downhill again and then it all seems too good to be true. Its good your gp said shes happy to increase you if you need it...with that safety net in mind...perhaps hold on 1week but feel reassured that you can increase xx
    • Posted

Hello Racheal42781,just a quick question did you go straight from 30mg one night to 45mg the next.Thank you in advance Xxx

• Edited

Oh p.s...no side effects from 45mg...literally no change from 30mg!:D please remember people are more inclined to write bad things about meds rather than good...Just like holiday reviews! Lol
  • Posted

Thanks Rachael good to hear that there aren't any side effects. My GP was very confident about prescribing them. The trouble with me is that none of the other ADs have worked and now I am thinking that it could be a waste of time upping them. I did go back again on Venlafaxine last April and they worked until September 2013. So I am now thinking maybe it would be better to try them again and at least get a few good months.

I have heard about the number of weeks it takes and that's why I asked if I could wait another couple of weeks.. You say you were on them for 10 weeks so I take it that the 30 mg didn't work. I seem to have a couple of good days and I start to think at last this is it. Then the next couple of days are horrendous. It really is a funny drug. When I was on Venlafaxine it just worked no bad days and for me it lasted 10 years. If you ever need to change drug I would recommend you try it. At one point my GP tried to take me off it and she put me on Citalapram which was useless for me. She put me back on Ven. and said that they were always told to stop prescribing the expensive drugs. Fortunately she was quite happy to put me back on it.

Anyway Rachael I'm so glad you are feeling much better.

• Posted

I was the same Pat. Good week and then bad days to follow. It became a bit of a pattern. I've had so many 'normal' days since upping to 45mg and glad I did. I think any anxiety that I do get ocassionally now is something that needs to be worked on myself. Doctor has reffered me for talking therapy as my main fear is of slipping backwards and that I feel quite traumatised by how bad I got if that makes sense. My husbands managed to secure me a part time job with his company so I think that will be the cherry on top for me.
  • Posted

Hi Rachael I should have started a CBT group last week but I had gone to Spain to see my daughter so I will probably have to wait now. I don't have anxiety so I guess that's a plus. I am retired but two days a week I do voluntary work at our local hospital and I feel great when I am there so I am sure you will feel better when you are working.

Cheers Pat

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.