Increasing Mirtazapine

Posted , 6 users are following.

I’ve been taking 15mg of Mirtazapine for a year. After a month the doctor said about going to 30mg but I’ve been quite happy on 15 so stayed on that. But the last few days my anxiety has come back really bad so now wondering if I should bite the bullet and increase the dose. I didn’t have any issues when starting but wondering if I will get side effects if I increase to 30mg

Anyone any ideas? 

Thanks 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

The 15mg dose is better for  sleeping  but if you go to 30mg  and if you want to come off it will be so much harder. I found after 8 weeks on 15mg the insomnia returned and I upped to 30 but it did nothing so I stopped cold turkey. Lexapro worked for me as it is very good for anxiety. My dr said he has lots of patients on 65mg  but I did not want to go down that path as the weight gain was bad enough on 15mg. I am glad to be off mirt as the newer SSRI antidepresants are so much better and Lexapro has hardly any side effects at all. Good luck with whatever you decide.
  • Posted

The whole process sucks. I guess we have to trust in our doctor, or so I'm told. I have been in denial for months and finally started mirt. tried a few wks ago but freaked and stopped. Listen to your heart only you truly know how you feel. Keep me posted.

• Posted

The higher doses of Mirt are normally prescribed for depression, the lower doses for insomnia & anxiety.  I've read of many folk within this forum going up to 30mg and their anxiety increasing, although not all.  Do you think that Mirt' could have actually 'pooped out' or that you could be in 'tolerance withdrawal'  I wonder?  Its our natures way of getting used to the drug and trying to find homeostasis.  

If you're asking I wouldn't bet on any increase in dose working, but hang on a little longer see if you stabilise, and if not do a very slow taper - not a straight switch to another AD.

Wishing you well.

• Posted

Just curious - when you say your anxiety has come back, can you describe it? Is the anxiety about stuff or is it a body feel?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.