Increasing the dosage.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all, I've been on fluox for nearly 6 months now, I'm on 30mg, around April and may I had a fantastic 5/6 weeks where I felt the best I have for 25 years, it was amazing to feel like this and gave me a lot of hope, however since then I've not had anything like that positive spell and it got me wondering if 30mg is too low a dose for me.

When I started fluox I was on 20mg for 5 weeks then moved up to 30mg, the first 2-3 weeks on 30mg weee utterly hideous, I was a mess, but then once it settled down I had that amazing 5/6 week spell...... so my question is - does it sound like fluoxetine is a good medication for me but at a different/higher dosage?..... Many thanks Luke.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

tLuke7580, I hope that the medication helps. Please remember !!!  Very very important when you come off this drug do it under strict medical supervision, this is absolutely vital. I have been very ill of late for this reason and a miss-understanding with the doctor, I can now see a light at the end of the tunnel, thank God.

These drugs can destroy your brain, use with every caution, John

• Posted

Hi Luke... 40mg was the magic number for me. I increased to 30mg for a while but always knew that 40mg would be where I needed to be at. It has taken its time to balance out though still...  I plan to stay on this drug for as long as possible... whilst people can say it can destroy you... so can depression and not having anything to help. I choose medication! life is just way to short!
  • Posted

It's your choice. What ever you decide. Just remember if you decide to get off of this mind numbing SSRI, take it very slow. 3-5% every 2-4 weeks to minimize withdrawals that can be horrible.

• Posted

Hi...... thanks for your replies, I'll reply to all of you in one post as it's easier! I don't intend coming off fluox until I've had at least 6 months on the highest possible dose (that's if I need to go to the highest dose of course).

Fluoxetine has undoubtedly helped me, but if feels like this current dose (30mg) isn't enough, I probably wouldn't be here now if it wasn't for this drug.... thank you Luke

• Posted

Luke

Since you have experienced some very good benefits from fluoxetine then I definitely think it is the medication for you and you should not be considering switching or coming off it

I think that probably your ups and downs are due to changes in the dosage maybe at the wrong time for you .

remember every time you change a dose you're almost starting again in terms of number of weeks to get to the

Stablised steady state period (c.70 days or 11 weeks for fluox).

What does your Physicians suggest ? because it seems to me like the best approach would be to move to 40 mg and then stick with that for a good 2 months or so.

Ignore comments that suggest the medication is "destroying your brain" and all that stuff..

at the end of the day you're on the medication for a reason and whilst antidepressants don't work for everybody when they do work they are of significant

benefit to people's quality of life.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.