Indentation, heel pain and back pain

Posted , 6 users are following.

My friend is into his 4th month of having his tkr. It's like everyday there's something new. He had noticed an indentation on the outside of his knee. He is experiencing pain in his heel, swelling in his thigh, and pain in his back. He had to stop his PT because of the pain. He goes to his Surgeon but he just says it's going to take time. Has anyone else experienced this or similar to this? If so what did you do?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Once the surgeon has done his bit, it is up to GP's to deal with pain and physio's to deal with mobility. The only time the surgeon gets involved is to check that everything is in the right place.  Yes, it s going to be a hard slog, find a hydro pool to exercise in, if not, then something like a jacuzzi where the water is warm.  Even the bath can help if deep enough.  You need to be able to strengthen muscles. Water is great as it supports the leg.  Rehab if hard, but must be done.  Take pain meds, if you don't, then you will have a huge pain barrier to get over.  
  • Posted

Once the surgeon has done his bit, it is up to GP's to deal with pain and physio's to deal with mobility. The only time the surgeon gets involved is to check that everything is in the right place.  Yes, it s going to be a hard slog, find a hydro pool to exercise in, if not, then something like a jacuzzi where the water is warm.  Even the bath can help if deep enough.  You need to be able to strengthen muscles. Water is great as it supports the leg.  Rehab if hard, but must be done.  Take pain meds, if you don't, then you will have a huge pain barrier to get over.  
  • Posted

I had a TKR on the 13th Feb this year so I'm just over 6 weeks down the line.

I know it's early days but the pain has been torturou

• Posted

Torturous - I too have pain in my feet and back.

I was beginning to wonder if it's all the pain relief causing added problems so under great duress I have limited my pain relief to codeine and paracetmol although I have been told I should carry on with the morphine - I am tempted but I keep thinking I'm going to beat this. I want to live - I don't want to be in bed all the time moaning and groaning. Can you tell me what kind of knee your friend was given. Sometimes I wonder if that's the problem,

Maybe these NHS knees are suspect- who knows?

• Posted

Morphine is the best pain medication as it interrupts the pain messages to the brain.  You should not take codeine and paracetomol together as there is a serious chance of overdosing.  Go back on the morphine.  It will help cope better. You don't have to stay in bed moaning and groaning. You are at the stage where you can soak in a hot bath. Let the hot water take the weight of your leg and do some gentle exercises.

Knee joints are all made together, be it NHS or private; the same companies have no way of knowing before hand who will buy them.  They do come in different sizes and are (to a certain degree) tailor fitted for each patient.

The less you do now, the longer your rehabilitation and the longer you will be in pain. Please go back to your stronger medication. Worry about coming off them once you are fullly recovered and mobile.

The trick then is to ease off them slowly.  Everything is done with patience and a positive outlook

• Posted

My GP told me to take 2 x paracetamol & codeine (1 x 30mg) together & it brings immense relief. The consultant also wrote this on my discharge notes.

I eased myself off Oxycodine after 6 - 8 weeks but have some left. After I tripped on a fringe on a throw, I took one as I was in such pain - I felt so very dizzy & sleepy, it was just not worth it - I'd rather work through the pain.

Everyone is different. 

• Posted

Hi Mary i had my tkr on 11 feb so virtually the same as you! Gosh im finding it hard to! My pain isnt to bad my prob is the stiffness and swelling! Im on mst slow release morphine just in the day and 10mg! I take paracetamol and ibroprofen in between. My physio and dr have both said if the pain isnt under control then i wont be able to do exercises propally. So do get pain under control!

Im struggling mentaly with this op as im 49 and want to get back to work but no way yet it hurts to walk without crutch! How are you doing with walking? Beens as you are at same stage as me! Thanks

• Posted

Dear Sueisobel

I've been to the doctors - he said the show of blood was probably connected to the knee replacement as it can trigger all sorts of other things off. Couldn't understand that!

He also told me to ditch the support stockings and just take 2 cocodamol at night. Not even paracetmol

I thought he's got to be joking. You see he's a young GP who is not very far-sighted I feel.

It will have to be a half spoonful of morph if I'm going to get through this otherwise I will go mad!!

X

• Posted

Hi Mary.

At least you have been to the doctor, yes it could have been connected to your replacement, as anything in excess has to come out somewhere!!! If it happens again, go the the hospital.

Read the packet and the paper that comes with any packet of pills.  It will tell you the maximum amount you can take in 24 hours.  If you have oramorph, then take it but don't take the paracetamol as that's already in the cocodamol and you will be overdosing.

It is a bit early to ask to be referred to a pain management clinic (I don't think your doctor has a very good bedside manner, but then you know him and I don't). If you are unhappy, can you see another doctor at the practise (Don't keep swapping around otherwise you'll get a reputation for being awkward).  Try acupuncture, go see a Chinese doctor (you still have to be careful with what you mix with what.) You will be surprised at what you can do yourself, you just have to jave the courage of your convictions.  By all means push yourself, but not to the point of exhaustion or that you cannot move the next day. Dont wear your stockings, give your skin a breather, if you need to wear something, try tubigrip, its fairly cheap and can/could give you a sense of security.  

Young doctors can come across as abrupt, don't let him talk down to you, but do listen to what he has to say. Pain is invisible, only you know how much you are in.  Right now is early days and the pain is natural, but you do need something stronger that headache pills. It is a long haul for some people, and once the bone has healed, then the nerves take over. But let's not go there yet.  Try not to think of the pain otherwise it will rule your life. Try to be positive, do things that you like to occupy your brain. use a can when you walk, it is not a sign of weakness, just make sure it is on the correct side and not on the same side as your replaced knee.

You will get through it. Make patience your best friend x

• Posted

Thank you so much for all your advise. I dont know my doctor that well- You just have to have whoever is available when you ring for an appointment.

I will try these co-codamol tonight. In fact the chemist have given me Solpadol, which is not the same as the hospital gave me. Somebody on this site suggest Naprixin but the chemist did not have them. I have been ok so far today having just taken one paracetmol. I feel things are starting to improve. will keep you posted.

xx

• Posted

Just be careful what you take combination wise.  Take more than one to get you through the night.. You need to kill the pain, not just tap it on the head.  Deal with the pain and your movement becomes a lot easier.  Your chemist sounds amenable, speak with him to see what you can or cannot take, but please keep us posted x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.