inderal 10mg 3 times a day not working

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello!

I noticed tremors on my body since I was 12. But it was mild tremors that I didn't care about. But since November 2014 my tremors got worse and now I have tremors all over my body. For example, when I try to do abs my trunk starts to tremble, when I lift my legs against the gravity, they start to tremble a lot, when I try to smile my face trembles, when I'm with my friends and try to drink some tea from a tea cup my hand and my head starts to tremble, and I feel that my neck and my head will start to tremble if I move in a "No" movement, and sometimes when I am in a place with lots of people my legs starts to shake and I get very embarassed about that and they start to shake even more. So I went to a neurologist and I showed to him the positions that I tremble and my situation, and he said that some people has more physiologic tremor than others (even though I think that I have essential tremor), and he had to give me something for the anxiety, but I tremble a lot, and when I'm cold my body trembles a lot (a lot more than normal people). He gave me Inderal 10 mg to take 3 times a day . But it's not working on controlling my anxiety. I also tried to take 20mg and it didn't work as well and I'm not having side effects too. But the problem is I get anxious because of my tremors and not the opposite . If I had no tremors, I wouldn't have a reason to be anxious.  I already went to the only 2 neurologists that I have on my city and only the second one gave me some medication. I really want this tremors to stop. I know he gave me that dosage because the anxiety makes the tremors worse but not even for the anxiety it's working. And I'm going to work out of my country with people that I dont talk and I will get very embarassed with this tremors... So what should I do?

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Thomas,

Thank you so much for starting this forum - it truly made my day.  I have been struggling with ET since I was 9 years old and didn't start taking medication for it until my early 20's since it was starting to affect my career.  I am now 51 and it just keeps getting worse, however I increase my dosage of propanolol.  I have also been taking Lorazepan for the anxiety associated with it - like you, I also get very anxious when anticipating a potential awkward social scene especially if it is related to work.  I am in the hospitality business therefore attend many events that involves eating/drinking in front of complete strangers.  The one thing that has always worked for me would be a glass of wine before attending such events, however would prefer not to have to do this.  I worry 95% of the time over things that have a 5% chance of happening - very frustrating.  It is kind of funny that we spend a lot of our worries about what other people may think.  If I knew that I was walking into a room full of people with our disorder, I would be so comfortable and not worry a second!

Hang in there and appreciate your discussion on this matter.  There is a website essentialtremor org that I was able to find a local support group here in Southern California.  Went to my first meeting yesterday - yay!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.