Indigestion and costochondritis

Posted , 15 users are following.

I'm 66 ,female and have fibromyalgia. Off and on since February I have been having attacks of indigestion that are not food related. Starts usually between breasts or shoulder blades. My Dr. prescribed prilosec which I took faithfully till August and realized it was making me worse! He then said to take Zantac for my "heartburn", it's NOT heartburn! I digress, I have gone nearly three weeks with no prob and felt encouraged, then swallowed a Sudafed, which I often do, but felt the familiar pain start between breasts. Then the pain and aggravation spreads all through my breasts, top of rib cage, armpits, and between and across shoulder blades. sometimes it will last a few minutes, sometimes several hours. I alternate ice and heat,etc. and it eventually subsides. At no time am I doubled up in agony(so far), and I usually try and keep moving . Never happens at night-lying flat sometimes seems helpful. I just had bloodwork ekg chest exray and all came back fine. Pain never goes below braline and is on both sides.Dr, also says I have costochondritis. Does anyone else have their costo set off by indigestion?? Feels like muscle spasms and will stay sore to touch forever, it seems! I apologize for being so long winded, this is my first post. Glad to have found my tribe! Thank you in advance!

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

hi this is a long shot as i know you posted a long time ago ..I have exact same symptoms put on ppi and now suffering worse ...did you ever get to the bottom of all this and find out what is was ?

thank you

• Posted

Hi, I also just started having similar symptoms. I've been seen by the ER, had a hospital stay, cardiology, and GI. The only thing they found was mild gastritis, but said it shouldn't be giving me this much pain. The diagnosis of costochondritis was discussed, but never confirmed by any doctor. My pain is in my left chest straight through to my back, left neck, should, and upper arm, but it gets worse if I try to eat a small meal. About two hours after eating a meal I will have symptoms and pain like a heart attack. I've been put on protonics as an acid reducer. But i don't know how much it's helping. I feel really bloated and gassy even though I've been having very little food for a few weeks now.

I'm hoping to figure out some answers too. Best of luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.