Indigestion and upper back pain?

Posted , 3 users are following.

i have recently had a chest infection and then coughing for about a month afterwards. I have had 2 chest xrays - first had a shadow/fluid which has cleared, but i am still coughing. I even had an inhaler and asthma check, which was negative.  I was diagnosed withan hiatus hernia a few years ago, but manage it by taking gaviscon or tablets if i over indulge,  My new sympton though is a hot/cramp like pain in my upper back. I am seeing my gp tomorrow to see how to deal with it.  I have to lose weight, but get indigestion if my stomach is empty. Does anyone else have this cramp like pain in the upper middle of their back?

The gp sent me to hospital as they though it was a heart attack but all the tests came back clear.  I don't take any regular medication, just antacids when I get sysmptoms.  Thank you for any replies

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Sounds very much like reflux to me. The oesophagus lies along the spine so backache/cramp and burning are common symptoms especially in the upper middle back and between the shoulder blades. I've had it for over 20 years. At first omeprazole (a PPI - a protein pump inhibitor) did the trick but after I had my gallbladder out, I started refluxing bile so, of course, PPIs don't help there as it is the caustic bile salts that do the damage for me. It might be worth trying a PPI if your doctor would prescribe it just to see if it cures it. I know there are a lot of people on this forum who see this drug as a really bad one to take but for some of us it's a godsend. A fortnight's trial isn't going to do any harm (I've been on them for 17 years). Good luck. Hope this helps.
    • Posted

Thank you Lucinia, I have an appointment with my GP tomorrow. I have had a few very stressful days and not eaten properly and this has brought on the latest pain. I will see what she says
    • Posted

Hi Carol, sorry you're having such a bad time. Catch 22 is that stress multiplies reflux hugely, and the condition is inherently stressful. I take PPIs for silent reflux, but principally for Barretts and i also have a hiatus hernia. 15mg lansoprozole in the morning and 30 at night. They seem to work for me, but ive no idea what would happen if my gall bladder had been taken out. Ive had a very wierd pain similar to what you describe, sometimes right up my spine area (so interested that Lucinia says the oesophagus lies along the spine). When i get it, the pain extends up into my neck and back of throat, and it always happens at night - though much less so now i sleep on a wedge pillow.

I agree that a short trial of a PPI wont do you harm and you wouldnt have difficulty coming off it if it didnt suit you.

I hope the GP appointment is useful. Best wishes.

• Posted

Ugh, I'm having the exact same pain right now. I'm 16 weeks pregnant, but never had this with my other 2 pregnancies. I hope this is nothing to worry about.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.