Indigestion (possible gastritis)and constipation ?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi please could anyone give me any advice. I suffer from periods of indigestion (Acid, bloating, fullness after eating and burping) and an endoscopy last year showed a small patch of inflammation and a small hiatus hernia. I also have over the past year had constipation at times which i wondered if it could be caused by taking antacid liquids. 

Last weekend i got the most horrible pains in stomach and felt sick,sweating and i was doubled over in pain and it felt like my stomach was having contractions to force something through it. It did eventually ease after about an hour but left me with a very sore stomach. I wondered if it could be gastritis as my stomach is still very tender. I am stuck as to know how to treat my sore stomach as i dont want to make the constipation worse. I would be gratefull for any advice from someone who has had similar problems thank you.  

2 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Frances,I find ppi 's can make me constipated...less so with Gaviscon,especially the tablet form . Also there are a couple of articles about massaging the ileus valve ( a muscle valve that can get stuck open or shut and cause problems like back wash ) ? This is a valve that lies between the large and small colon. You can lovate it by imagining a line between your naval and the top of your hip bone on the right hand side. About a third of the way is the valve...press and massage if painful,until the pain goes. My husband and I find this technique works amazingly well when the stomach or  bowels play up. Look it up online. Also a hot water bottle soothes and helps any discomfort . I also take Lactulose sometimes to help bowel movement. All the best,hope something works for you,regards Jan

• Posted

Hi Janita, thank you i will look it up and give it a try. I have had Lactulose in the past but dare not take it the night before work as it gives me awful wind down below. It does work though. 

Best wishes, Frances

• Posted

I understand how frustrating that is. I've been so upset lately with my issues too. Just out of curiosity have you tried taking a walk after meals? I was constipated and gassy quite a bit during one of my pregnancies and that helped me tremendously. I noticed that I passed a lot of gas after my walks and felt better almost immediately. It also led time going to the bathroom more regularly.

• Posted

Hi Gina, yes i find walking after meals does help also rocking back and forward when i feel bloated helps dislodge the trapped air. 

Best wishes, Frances

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.