Infants diagnosed with atopic dermatitis

Posted , 7 users are following.

My daughter was diagnosed with atopic dermatitis when she was 2mos old. She was given hydrocortisone 2x/day for 5 days for the inflammation and Ezerra for the itching and dryness and Cetaphil cleanser and moisturizer. It did work but I have the following concerns:

1. After 5 days of treatment the rashes would go away, but after a couple of days without the hydrocortisone, the rashes starts again and there she is back with the itching and discomfort. She is 6 mos now and this cycle has been going on since she was 2 mos.

2. I am afraid of the side effects of longterm use of corticosteroid. Hers is .5 and 1%

3. She has new rashes flaring up around the eyes. I'm concerned about putting topical meds around the area.

4. She is mixed fed meaning i breastfeed at the same tme she is taking milk formula. I have change her formula from a cow's milk protein base to soya based protein hoping to improve her condition because i thought she might be allergic to the previous but nothing seems to show improvement.

5. I've been researching about trigger foods that might cause the flareup. I might have eaten the wrong food and since I am breastfeeding, she might ingest the allergens through my breast milk.

I have done the best I could in every aspect but nothing seems to give some improvement. I am honestly confused right now. It pains me to see her this way. I need some immediate help.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Firstly, you're a wonderful mother

Secondly, I had the exact same problems with steroid creams for my face. I had to stop using them

Thirdly, she could be allergic to soya as well as dairy, my niece is. She was given a special formula by the hospital

I'm sorry I have no answers. I'm going thru extreme perioral dermatitis myself. I'll pray over you both if that's ok? Biggest love to you both

• Posted

Ps

There are protopic and elidl as an option. The side effects info looks scary but they're better than steroid treatments overall.

• Posted

Hi, i believe allergens coming from food and immediate environment affect our health. I'm related to your daughter's condition and I understand your pain and frustration. That was me 4 months a go.

My daughter also suffers eczema and it was severe for at least 2 yrs until we found about the triggers in food besides dust mites. She'a anaphylactic to some nuts , She's being diagnosed celiac in January.

Back in Nov 15 I took off all products and grains containing gluten of her diet as well as eggs, milk and tomatoes. GP run a series of blood test and skin prick tests, to identified all triggers. That helped a lot.

At this point and after following a strict diet my kid is free of eczema, still using moisturisers and avoiding hot days as it seems to promote redness in her skin but not eczema. She's a happy kid these days.

Good luck in your journey to find a cure for your bsby's skin condition.

Ana

• Posted

Hi, sounds like topical steroids are worsening the original condition perhaps.  The skin around the eyes is 30 times more absorbant than skin in other areas of the body.

To avoid topical steroid withdrawal and to look at alternatives, there is a Facebook group called Topical Steroid Withdrawal - Red Skin Sydrome Support Group where there are parents with similar concerns to your own, with many suggestions about how to treat without steroids. Good Luck !

• Posted

Thank you Manuka! I have checked out your recommended forum/ community on fb and it helped me in so many ways. I believe God has used you so I will be on the right track as I search for answers. May the good Lord bless you back a hundred-folds. Many thanks from the bottom of my heart.
    • Posted

Glad you feel you are getting the answers you need rei90103  xx
  • Posted

You are doing everything you can and you are doing a great job. You are a very diligent mother. I would also be concerned about using it anywhere close to her eyes. I do not know how old a child has to be to get tested for allergies, have you asked her pediatrician about that?

Also, have you changed detergents at any time during the 6 months as I know that will aggravate it. I believe Dreft is supposed to be the best for sensitive baby skin but they may have come out with something new over the years. Also, do you see any improvement in using anything oatmeal based like Aveeno or natural like Baby Bees for relief?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.