Infected incision

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have been on here a lot the last few weeks and really just need a moment to vent.  I had a good cry and I know this will get better.

Bimalleolar Surgery 7/27; cast off 9/13 and got a boot.   9/16- noticed redness and some seeping around the outside big incision......  sent pic to MD (we live an hour from the clinic) on Friday and was told to stay off it for the weekend and was put on antibiotics.  Well - it is Monday and is not better at all.  The nurse called and I have an appt at 2.  Fortunately I was able to get a friend to drive me- (hubby not available today).

I just know I am going to be non wt bearing for however long this takes and I am just so deflated.  I feel vulnerable with my foot totally unprotected- scared that someone will bump it or I will.  Having to keep it dry so showering again w/ the cast condom.  I feel like I have taken a step back.  And if one more person tells me "it could be worse"- I am going to scream.  I am well aware it could be worse and thank God everyday that I have my leg....  but when it is "YOU" going thru this - there are just some things that I will never say to anyone again.  Right now- this is bad enough and I was so excited about wt bearing and getting off this couch.  I have awful bursitis in the hip from sitting for 8 weeks so am constantly changing positions or laying down.  

I should really delete this post as everyone on here has been so up beat and encouraging.  Guess maybe I need to hear some of that today.  It is rainy out which does not help even though we need it.  But that is not helping.

Plus- did not sleep much the past few nights.  I am paranoid that my husband is going to kick my leg or wound by accident.....  

Well- that about sums it up.   Please know that I am aware this will past-I already feel better for venting.... though am no happier with my situation- or any of yours for that matter.  This is truly a really crummy injury.

And if this was not enough- I have to have 1/2 my thyroid removed in October- suspicious tumor....  I had put that out of my mind but today-... for whatever reason- it is baaaaccckkkk.  Oh- and then there is that- When will I ever get back to work?  Will I lose my job?

Sorry- but thank you for being there.  I hope that you did not read this entire post..... it is really a downer.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

If misery loves company, I am here to help!  I have tried to NOT be depressed.  Everyone seems to have their own slant and issues with their injury/surgery, etc.  The best part is knowing I'm not alone or crazy, and some of what I'm going through is normal.  I too have learned what NOT to say to people when I get through this.  I too am scared that someone will bump into my wound (fracture blisters are still not healed after 8 weeks), and lack of sleep makes me really nutty and grumpy. Patience is a virtue I apparently don't have.  I thought about not checking on this site for a while as it makes me realize just how long this process will take, and I get even more depressed.  The only 'up' side I can find right now is that I have lost about 15 lbs because I have no appetite when I am in pain.  I was watching college football this weekend, and a slow motion clip of a player skirting down the sideline showed a close-up of his feet/ankles to see if he was inbounds.  I was struck by how fragile the ankle appears given all the weight and torque that is put on it.  Seems like a design flaw to me.  Thanks goodness for the distraction though.  I don't mind your vent.  Seems like a therapeutic thing to do sometimes.

• Posted

I'm so sorry and I do know how you feel. Mine happened 5 and a half years ago I lived alone and no the disparity you are feeling I kept a journal so I could vent everything I was feeling it helped me just a suggestion I will be having my 5 th surgery and will go through this again it's scary just know you are not alone and there really isn't anything to say to make you feel better believe me I know I'm here if you need to vent I've done that too good luck

• Posted

I think people don't seem to understand unless they have experienced this! I know how your feeling, I've had so many people repeatedly say to me "it could be worse" "your lucky really" etc etc and I am aware it could be and I really am grateful, but it's just not what you want to hear when you can't walk or do anything for yourself.

You can get through this and there will be an end, I'm sorry that you need to have more surgery on October, try to concentrate on one thing at a time, your ankle may be taking longer than it should but you will get there, I know it's hard sitting at home worrying about everything but we will all get through this and there is an end xx

• Posted

Hi Jan. You are not wrong or whinny to feel the way you do. This sucks and the people who also on this site, who have stumbled here as well looking for some understanding, advise, etc., can help you with support and hopefully suggestions that helped them through their suffering. I felt it was like a cry into the void initially because I had no where to turn. My wife/kids had to get along with life so any suffering (non-stop pain, sleeping in a chair for 2 months, trapped in my home) was mine alone to bear. They meant well, but only sharing here helped me. Help to go down a path, advise on taking everything slow and steady on my recovery, questions for my doctors.... It helped me and now 6 months later I'm getting back to normal. So I tell you take care and don't feel bad, that you feel bad. It's real and hopefully the kind and generous people I experienced here can help you through it as well. Good luck and heal

• Posted

I understand some of your plight.I today have been very teary as unless someone breaks an ankle, just the loss of mobility is great. I have a trimalleolar fracture .I also had broken my right wrist last October and it still twinges.Although I am in an air boot and I can now walk without crutches ,I am in pain ,the ache and the soreness around my ankle bones are so tender.My family help,but sometimes it is with resentment as they have been used to me doing most household jobs for years.

My job is a carer .I look after people with either dementia or Parkinson, and I miss my clients as I cant work.

Me, I am feeling flat when I spend my time giving support.

I can't wait to work and drive again and I hope that will be in mid October.

Thank you all for understanding we are all in this togther.

• Posted

I know exactly what you mean, somebody said that to me and I found it insulting. It wasn't like I even complained at all. It was the first thing she said to me. I was like wow, really! That person is negative and insensitive. That is what is good about this forum. We all understand. I am hoping things improve for you soon. I would want to murder someone of that happened to me. Feel better!!!!

• Posted

Haha.  It is funny- we should have a topic on what comments are the most irritating.  I usually can keep in mind that they are just trying to offer comfort and encouragement- and let it roll off my shoulder... but then there are times... well- you know.

So- an update on me.  I went to ortho yesterday for on of the  incisions that looks awful 8 weeks after surgery.  Good news is that it is not infected, but it is not healing.  Have been on antibiotics for 5 days and there was no change.  We are trying a new type gel dressing and this morning it actually looks a tad better!!!!!!  I have to send a picture to her Friday- if it has not improved- I will have to see a plastic surgeon, but i do feel a little more encouraged today.  

She even told me that I can put some wt on my foot (since I cannot wear the boot until it is healed) and walk some with crutches or walker.  I only used the boot 3 days before this wound mess and not sure I feel good about walking on the foot- but I am doing so.... will see how that goes.  Am really hoping i can get back in the boot soon- I just feel 'safer' in it.  Who would have ever though I would want the boot!?  

So am feeling better today and i want to thank everyone for their understnding and encouragement!!  You all are the best.

• Posted

I'm' glad to here it is doing better. Ha ha ha, in the distant future you will not want that boot, lol!!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.