Infection

Posted , 11 users are following.

I  felt I was starting an infection so visited the doctor and have been taking an antibiotic for two weeks. Unfortunately I still don't feel much better. I find I am breathless and wheezing even when I am sitting doing nothing and constantly having to clear my lungs. At night I waken up struggling to breathe and end up getting up. Any infection I have had in the past has always cleared up but not this time and I'm feeling depressed. 

Anyone have any ideas 

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Fern

Try not to worry. If you have history off chest infections, they tend to sometimes take time in clearing. Antibiotics sometimes do not work and sometimes you need a months cause of them. Some infections are quite stubborn to clear, especially at this time of year.

Do you feel better when you sit up after lying down ?

Might be a good idea to have a chest X-Ray, surprised your doctor as not done this as it is generally standard to do this, especially where you have an history of this.

Let us know how you are getting on and best wishes to you.

Kev  (UK)  cheesygrin

• Posted

At the moment I am not managing much sleep. I seem to get a couple of hours and then wake up as all the gunge has gathered and I am struggling to get a breath. Once I clear my lungs I try to sleep again but end up not able to do so because of the wheezing. I end up just getting up and sitting in the chair and the symptoms seem to lift a bit.  
    • Posted

Hi I have a cold at the moment which has turned into a chest infection.  I am taking my rescue pack of ab's and steroids.  I am exactly the same as you - I try and sleep but start coughing,  so have to get up for a while to cough it up then try again.  I got around 3 hours kip last night sad  x

• Posted

Me too....another sleepless night!

You are very lucky to have a rescue pack...I've never been offered one. That's why, when I feel an infection coming on I try to go to the doctors straight away. Anyway I am going to ask about one on Monday. 😞

Wish there was a cure. Nite,nite x

• Posted

Rescue packs aren't offered in my part of the world where profit rules all. Fewer and fewer non-rich americans have docs who'll call in a prescription without forcing patient into office, or to ER. So we have to drag ourselves out to one place or the other. If we do have such a doc we still have to go to the pharmacy or find someone else to go.

I believed this non-system sucked long before i became chronically ill.

• Posted

Hi well I never knew about it until my nurse said I should have one.   If your doctor says no ask the nurse!   x
    • Posted

That's not good.   In the UK most surgerys allow (and encourage) us to arrange with our local chemists to take care of our prescriptions for us.   I just go in and ask for my monthly meds list,  then go back 3/4 days later to collect it.  x

• Posted

Well got my course of steroids this morning so hopefully they will do the trick. Didn't manage to see the doctor but had a telephone appointment. 
  • Posted

Hi fern I am going through the same as you. Had a chest infection since before Xmas. My gp has arranged for a sputum test which will hopefully show which type of abs I need. Hope your soon feeling better and take care. Sue. ps sorry not much help.
  • Posted

You might visit to other doctor and take his opinion about antibiotics.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.