Infection

Posted , 5 users are following.

Think I have an infection so tried to get a GP appointment nothing til 6th April. Been to walk in centre at the hospital , waited 3 hours, no examination just broad spectrum antibiotics and if no better back to my GP in a week. Better make an appoint tomorrow then! Feel like I wasted my time.

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

• Posted

You may not have wasted your time Rosie because a broad spectrum antibiotic will cure a multitude of infections so in 48 hours you may start to see some improvement.
  • Posted

Hope things get better soon for you, keep drinking plenty water and cranberry juice is meant to be good too!

Phyllis xx

• Posted

Thank you Phyllis X hope your recovery is going well xxx
  • Posted

Spoke to my GP who said they won't do swabs as I've had an op and would need to go back to where I had the surgery which is an hour and a half away. Strange as when I was discharged from hospital they told me any problems see your GP.
    • Posted

Rosie pix, I had a look at my discharge letter and at the bottom it says if any concerns to contact them and a contact number to phone. Also before I went in for op was phoned by consultant''s secretary to organise op date so also gave her number. Surely we are still under consultants care; they are responsible for the op and if we have return appointment still under there care?

When my daughter had an op at York hill hospital the same happened to us felt like they were playing pass the parcel when it came to aftercare, rather shocling.

Hope you get help soon, Phyl xx

• Posted

That's not very good Rosiepix!! It would only take a nurse 5 minutes to take a swab as well.
    • Posted

It's not always the case in all hospitals phyllis. Even if a patient is having a follow up appointment it's often up to the GP to do the follow up care as it is in Rosiepix's case. They have clearly said that on her discharge letter but it appears there's some miscommunication somewhere.
    • Posted

Hi Matron

I am definitely changing GP . Firstly couldn't get an appointment for over a week and secondly think they are being awkward because I had the op done privately. My view is it has saved the NHS money and give another person an earlier opportunity to have their op done. Oh well x

• Posted

Thanks Phyllis

I called the hospital where I had my op yesterday and they advised me to call my GP which I obviously did, no wonder people are confused and become worse when you are sent around in circles!

Xx

• Posted

You've raised a good point there about your operation being done privately Rosie and I think I would feel the same if my GP surgery refused a simple request. GP's are as part of their contract supposed to share care with any hospital consultant which is why patients are often advised to contact them if there are any problems. One good reason for that is because consultants are responsible for so many patients and are often needed in different hospitals and departments so contacting them if you have a concern will often lead to a lengthy wait. If you see a doctor in outpatients and you need any medication it's the GP who has to write the prescription not the hospital doctor. This is what GP's wanted, more responsibility and sharing patients care. 
    • Posted

It was the hospital doctor that gave me the prescription not my GP. I am peed off with my GPs attitude x
    • Posted

That's because you were a private patient. It's NHS outpatient departments that expect you GP to provide a prescription. I'm not surprised you're not happy with your GP. They obviously aren't following Dept of Heath/ government guidelines when it comes to appointments. 
    • Posted

It was NHS outpatients dept Matron. I only had the op done privately
    • Posted

Well you were one of the lucky ones. I had an outpatient appointment recently (NHS) and had to go to my GP practice with the list of things I needed prescribing, then wait up to a week before I could get them. When I asked why it took so long I was told it was because it wasn't a priority. I was shocked so I made a few enquiries to be told that this was now common practice. I think it's to reduce the hospital drug bill and ensure it comes out of the GP budget instead. Not sure how long this has been going on for though.
    • Posted

That's terrible! I didn't know this was the case now. The world seems to have gone mad! Hardly progress!!
    • Posted

I agree Rosie. I was shocked to be honest and it's very inconvenient. I'm lucky, I can drive but what about elderly patients who have to struggle to appointments. It's another cost cutting exercise because hospital trusts are constantly in the red.
    • Posted

I am also one of the lucky ones, as my appointment was private. My consultant and hospital were very helpful, but still have found this forum very useful.
    • Posted

It's always nice to talk to ladies who have been or are already going through this and the support is invaluable.
    • Posted

I agree it's great to share experiences 😀

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.