Infection after having an ankle fusion

Posted , 2 users are following.

ive had a hind foot ankle fusion back in June this year had 6 weeks in plaster cast then 6weeks in air boot had the airboot off 3 weeks now my ankle isn't getting any better worse if anything 

I'm wondering if I could have an infection has anyone ever. Had this happen ?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I had a tripple athrodeisis twelve years ago on left foot ..I am now eight weeks after op for a triple hindfoot athrodeisis .. From what I remember from my first time round I was in pain walking and trouble with swelling all the time ...I went back to doc who said I may have to go through it again I had to wait six months for foot to be ready for another op second time around was still painful when I got out of cast but didn't feel like first time as if I was walking on stones on bear feet

It takes a long time for your foot to settle down wounds to heal .  It was six months before I could say I was now feeling confident that the op was going to work . Swelling started to settle able to walk without pain after a year I forgot I had op that is when you feel so good and are glad you went through All that hassle after op it's all worth it ..I could go back to jogging ..cycling football although sometime you fall over when tackled because you have know side movement . After a year you can do most things you did before you had problems with foot ..this op is a cure that's wright a cure for your ankle Its all worth it in the end ..what I am doing just now is planning for next summer I am 57 years of age 15 stone I plan with my son to do the hyndland way it's a 100 mile walk in a lovely part of scotland over a week I am buying the things I need just now online in sales(  good time to buy end of season )because we are going to do it camping also I want to tack this large hill in France on my cycle again with my son and wife next summer . Because I have been through this before I know what to expect so it has been easier this time round .. So don't think of it daily think of it say in December or January you should feel a lot better by then ...take care heather stop worrying to soon to worry 

• Posted

The triple hindfoot  athrodeisis on right foot this time 
    • Posted

Hello  thanks for replying. Must admit after reading it made me feel more  positive , I have an appointment tomorrow with   My consultants understudy  I would call him simply because I was so worried things has gone wrong,up till now I haven't been taking any pain killers. But the pain got to me in the end. So I gave in I'm taking  Ibobufin anti  inflame retry along with parasitical  and must admit the pain isn't quite so bad. But my ankle. Is still swollen. From my ankle to my knee , I'm asumming  it's the long metal strip I have pinned to my shin. anyway tomorrow all will be revealed. 

Thankyou once again for your reply it certainly. Made me feel more positive. About things 

• Posted

Heather the swelling is the last element of your op to disappear I got into the habit of getting the leg raised as soon as your home and after a few months Idoc suggested I wear a stretch  bandage and I prefered to wear saddles until swelling went down .you will find the swelling and the pain will lessen through the year watch out for the ibrufen to many can give you gut problems ..It just takes time for the healing and for the rest of your foot to get used to the fused part of the foot ...
    • Posted

I do try to put mu foot up whenever I can I'm a widow so it's award when there are things to do Ect prepare my food do housework ,

i must admit I was very disheartened with my foot hurting so much I expected to be pain free as my consultant said I would be when discussing the op , the pain stops me from doing so much ,one thing I'm lucky I can at least drive  as my car is an automatic .thanks for the advice about the Ibrufen I think I'll stick to paracetimal

th word TIME I've heard so much lately 

thanks again your message as cheered me up some 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.