infection after UFE

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi everyone, just to add my own experience of UFE. I had the procedure done on 7th February. The procedure itself was quick and painless, however I did develop severe cramps at the end of it. I was given Fentanyl, but due to an adverse reaction, this was replaced with oxycodone. There was more pain later that evening but it was dealt with using my oxycodone pump. The next morning I was feeling well and ready to go home. I thought I'd be up in a week and felt lucky to have chosen UFE over other alternatives such as myomectomy or hysterectomy.

Unfortunately, things went downhill from there. I developed fever (over 38C) which would just not go away. I'm aware that low-grade fever often occurs after embolisation but this was getting higher and higher. I called the hospital and they said if it goes down with paracetamol, then there is no reason for concern but if it doesn't, come back to us. I spoke to my GP who asked me to get over there to be checked over but I felt too weak to do that. Eventually, after a night of high fever that would not come down, I called an ambulance and was taken to A&E.

The gynaecology team saw me very quickly on arrival. They took blood cultures and did vaginal swabs. They thought I had a infection and put me on fluids and IV anitbiotics.

The pain that night was something I'll never forget. The tiniest movement made my pain shoot up to 10. I was groaning and moaning like I'd never before in my life. I was offered oromorph to deal with the pain but because of my earlier adverse reaction to Fentanyl I was reluctant to take it. My thoughts were I can't believe I'll be able to avoid hysterectomy this time, and to be totally honest I was so scared of sepsis I'd rather have my womb removed.

Eventually, I didn't have a hysterectomy but my seven days in hospital were hellish. Each dose of IV anitbiotics was followed by a burning sensation all over my body which felt like fever but wasn't. I also had diarrhoea and was frequently sick.

A week later the doctors told me the infection was in check and that I was well enough to go home on oral antibiotics. I didn't feel well enough but didn't argue. So I've been recovering at home since. I still have fever (around 38-38.5 C) and feel weak. I'm hoping I'll get better eventually, but it does take an awful lot of time. Doctors at the hospital told me to be on my guard over the next few weeks about discharge/fever because that could mean the infection is back.

0 likes, 47 replies

47 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Jess,

Just wondering how you are doing, hoping that you are keeping better & that the infection has gone. Let me know you are ok now, I've been thinking about you xx

• Posted

Hi Heather, I'm a lot better, thank you. I expelled a dead fibroid a few weeks ago, but I haven't had any issues since. I recently had my period which was light and uneventful, a massive change compared to my pre-op days when I'd change pads every couple of hours. Also I don't get any abdominal pain or pressure symptoms any more, whereas I used to have pain almost throughout the month. The ufe appears to have worked! I'm really pleased although I still worry occasionally that the foul-smelling discharge might be coming back...

How about you? I recall you'd been researching MRgFUS, any luck with that?

• Posted

Hi there Jess, Good to hear you are feeling a lot better. it must be quite scary to pass a fibroid! My goodness! But good thing about that if its out then it can't infect inside the body. Have the hospital given you an indication as to what you can expect? Can they test to see if the bacteria causing your sepsis is dead & will not reoccur so you are not worrying about it? Have they said if a foul smelling discharge comes back it's infection again or to expect it? I hope they are giving you some kind of guidance so you are just not left with worry. I'm keeping you in my thoughts & prayers after your ordeal. In answer to your question, yes I'm still re-searching MRgFUS, I'll let you know when I find out more. Best Wishes H

• Posted

Thank you for your good wishes, Heather. No, the hospital has not given me any guidance, nor have they performed any tests re. bacteria causing sepsis. The only thing I was told by the gynae who helped remove the fibroid was that the uterus did not seem infected and that there didn't seem to be any more fibroids lurking inside. I'm seeing the gynae again in a week, but to be completely honest I don't expect they will tell me anything I don't already know...

All the best with your own research, do let me know when you're ready to make a move.

• Posted

Well just keep a close eye on discharge & temperature, keep a diary & straight back in if any difference as they have to keep nipping any reoccurances in the bud Jess to keep you safe. Lets hope there aren't any further ones. I'll PM you when I know more about if I can progress with my favouvered route. Keep well, keep in touch. Keeping you in my prayers & praying for the best possible outcome for you from now.  Best Regards H

• Posted

I'm wondering how you are doing. I had ufe on 6/8 and feel great except I continue to have low grade fevers almost daily, usually occurring in the afternoon or evening. Have had bloodwork (normal) and a repeat MRI (normal) so they don't really know what to do with me!

• Posted

Hi Ann, thanks for your interest. I'm doing really well! My periods have got much lighter, which means I no longer suffer from low energy/ anaemia, and my tummy has become almost flat! In fact, I'm thrilled at how good I feel after a few years of complete misery. However, recovery took me three full months, so I'm not surprised you have low grade fever. Keep in mind that the body has to deal with the breakdown of the fibroid and eliminate waste material. Was your fibroid quite big?

• Posted

Reading through this forum I had a ufe done 20th sept so was four weeks on Wednesday I have been feeling shivery all week and sick no discharge though do you think it is infection from ufe? My doctor gave me antibiotics but feel no better x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.