Infection after uterine fibroid embolisation

Posted , 12 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity.

Help! Has anyone else had foul smelling vaginal discharge following UFE?  At my wits end with my GP and not sure what to do next.

Had my UFE 2 weeks ago, recovery was tough the first week but much improved by the end of the second week.  Then came the smelly discharge.  I'd had discharge for weeks prior to the procedure and was told this was nothing to worry about.  I knew discharge would continue for several weeks after the procedure, however, i wasn't prepared for the smell.  

Most women who've undergone UFE experience discharge (fibroids breaking down apparently, lasts for months) no one mentions offensive smelling discharge.  I can't be the only one.  It's really bad - I smell like rotting meat!

I know offensive discharge is one of symptoms of infection, but I don't have any other symptoms - no fever, high temperature etc. (although did feel feverish, with mild temperature for 2 days)  Saw my GP earlier in the week, and she dismissed the idea of infection (swab test was negative for BV etc).  I requested a 2nd test as this smell can't be normal - I get those results next week.

My worry is GP is testing/looking for the wrong type of infection.  She hasn't ordered a blood test which is apparently more accurate in determining uterine infection?

I have multiple fibroids and my MRI showed one had undergone cystic degeneration - is it possible the UFE has escalated degeneration and the consequence is mild infection?

Has anyone else experienced this?   

I can't get GP to take me seriously - she won't even prescribe antibiotics as a precaution.  Can't get follow up appointment with my gynea due to some admin error (means my case file is between consultants - don't ask), so will have to wait until the new year until that's sorted.

The smell is getting me down.  I can't go back to work, dreading christmas, just feeling pretty rotten.

5 likes, 46 replies

46 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Libra787, as unpleasant as it may feel, it seems that the procedure has worked and the fibroids are dying so just hang in there.
    • Posted

that's a good thought to hold onto - thanks Niki1313.

• Posted

I agree with Niki, it sounds like it has worked. I can't say for sure why other peeps don't mention the smell but it may be either it seems too unpleasant or embarrassing, or perhaps they have been warned beforehand to expect it so they're not worried. Or perhaps different bodies behave in different ways... by all means get your gynae's opinion and have more tests done if it will ease your mind, but I really think it will stop once the dead tissue is expelled. Best wishes, Rosie
    • Posted

Could be, I was pretty mortified mentioning it to GP myself but smell got so bad, there was nothing else to do.  My poor sister is subject to sniff tests (as I glide by) every few hours.

I have little appetite at the moment, but trying to overhaul my diet so I'm boosting my immunity with natural antibiotic rich foods.  Also started taking Echinacea and a female probiotic which I hope will help keep things healthy in the long term. 

Even though I know it's not BV I'm using the BV pessaries but they make the discharge worse (more of it and no improvement on the smell).  I'll keep going for a few more days but might give up after that if no real improvement.

• Posted

My advice for any vaginal issues, whether it's a yeast infection or fibroid discharge is to buy a bottle of GSE (Grapefruit Seed Extract) and a enema/douche bag (the one that is interchangeable and you can use this in the shower to douche with).  Fill up the bag with body temperature water and add 5-10 drops of GSE and shake up the bag to mix.  In the shower douche.  Do this once daily for at least a week and check to see if your condition has improved.  This is my savior.... for so many things as it is antibacterial, antifungal, antimicrobial, antiparasitic, antiviral... you name it!  Good luck to you!  
    • Posted

Thanks for the tip.  The situation resolved itself so I am just really relieved.
  • Posted

Hello

joined this discussion because may be later it's my turn to experience similar thing .

I had my UFE exactly four weeks ago . After procedure I had only couple of day some discharge and then nothing till now . End of fourth week my first period starts and first couple of days very less bleeding and I thought bingo procedure worked for me and my periods are back to normal like they used to be 3-4 years ago . Third day periods back to horribly heavy and they are reason for this procedure to be done.Every half hour I changed heavy duty night pad  and around five pjs because of stains. Luckily in the house I got strip of tranexamic acid and that helps me to slow down. During this I can see something coming out , tiny pieces . Don't know what are they and I think they are not clots . There is no smell . In fact while discussing about procedure before and after dr mentioned that if something going out during periods that's good  . And they could be your dead fibroids but if something smelly discharge with fever then I need to contact GP or hospital because that could be infection .

• Posted

Poor thing! That sounds really awful. It's quite possible you are expelling your fibroids, but I think the difference here is that Libra already had a fibroid that was necrotizing before her procedure. That is most likely the one that is causing the bad smell, because it has been effectively "dead" for much longer. I had the same thing, and it eventually stopped, once the fibroid was expelled.

I hope you experience a full recovery and no more unwanted flooding!

• Posted

So sorry to hear that - don't be disheartened, apparently it could take a couple of cycles before things settle down, after which you should hopefully have a much better period experience.  The tiny pieces you mentioned sound like bits of fibroid, when I did have this the pieces were a mix of blood clots and greyish material (both pretty small).  I haven't had my first period yet and to be honest, I am pretty nervous because my last one before the procedure was pretty bad.  Hope yours settle down next cycle.  All the best x
  • Posted

Hello

I am 47 years old and gave normal birth to 5 children and one miscarriage. 

I've just had my UFE a week ago. It was my best option since the Ob-Gyn said the surgical solution would be hysterectomy for fear of hemorrhage.

?The largest of the fibroid is 12*10 and another one above the cervix cause deformation in the uterus.

I felt cramps during the first 4 days. The doctor had ordered ibobrufin 3 times a day but I found Ponstan better at managing the pain so I switched some of the doses.

A week later I am having chills, fatigue and sore thoat. I wonder what signs I should watch for for an infection as it is advised that infections are the most serious side effects.

• Posted

Hi Asila, I felt feverish, had chills and lost my appetite (so was pretty weak).  I did not have a fever or high temperature though, so it was difficult to get my GP to treat as infection.  Post-surgery infection is actually more common than they tell you.  I would recommend seeing your GP or ob-gyn so at the very least they can rule it out.  Hope you feel better soon.
    • Posted

Thank you Libra787.

I am much better now, still couphing heavily but otherwise feel well.

• Posted

Can you provide any updates on your procedure? I just had mine about a week ago. Any side effects?
    • Posted

Hi Jazzy, nearly 12 months on and I am feeling really good.  The procedure worked for me.  I achieved good shrinkage on my uterus (from 21x8x17cm to 9.8x7x7.3cm) and my periods (which used to last 2 weeks and were crazy heavy) are now 2 days max, and super light - (so light in fact I wonder if I've hit menopause). 

All the issues during recovery resolved themselves, I had a torid time  but eventually expelled about 4 fibroids of various sizes.  The first was necrotized tissue (the smelly one) but the rest were just lumps of fibroid - I think that accounted for the significant shrinkage which the radiologist was really pleased with.  I hope this helps.

Good luck with your recovery x

• Posted

Thank you for sharing. I am going through something similar right now. This was helpful to ease some of my fears.
    • Posted

Glad it was helpful.  wishing you a quick recovery.
    • Posted

Hi I had ufe on Jan 30, 2017 for a 10 cm fibroid. I have pelvic pain foul smelling discharge (sometimes light reddish brown or yellowish clear) and am chaning my extra long heavy duty pad every 1 hour or so. I had to leave work twice this month because of the heavy discharge and oder. I have been passing dead tissue for 2 months and my second period lasted 2 weeks and was very heavy. Gyno prescribed me progesterone pills 3 x day for one week to help stop the flow. Will have a MRI next week to find out what's happening to me. Anybody else gone throygh this? I almost feel like my body is trying very hard to expel the fibroid but it feels stuck near my cervix. sad

• Posted

Hi Emily, sorry to hear about your problems. I had ufe on 7th February and was admitted to hospital twice with sepsis. I've had discharge (pinkish brown) ever since the operation but it started smelling foul and offensive 2-3 weeks ago. I was given antibiotics for my other symptoms (high temperature, chills, feeling unwell) but they haven't helped with the discharge. Right now I go through 3-4 pads a day. The odour is really bad -- I can smell it over my clothes. I, too, think it could be the body's attempt to expel the fibroid(s). I had a CT scan whilst at hospital which showed fluids and gas in my uterus -- my guess is that these are the by-products of the fibroid breaking down and they're slowly being expelled by the body. I have an appointment with the gynae mid-May; till then I'm keeping my fingers crossed I don't get high fever or other sepsis symptoms again. Do let me know what your gynae says and/or what the MRI shows!

• Posted

Hi Emily, it does sound like the fibroids are breaking down which is a positive thing, but of course not very pleasant for you.  My situation was a little different in that it all happened within the first few weeks - but I did have the discharge and smell (not very nice).  I'm sorry you've had to go through this for 2 months.  Keep us posted on how the MRI goes.  Wishing you all the best x

• Posted

Hi Jess thank you and I will keep you updated. Glad you're ok from the sepsis infection. I just want my normal life back. Can't wait to get MRI results back I need something pisitive to come out of all of this. This fibroid has tried to ruin my quality of life. 2 years of living with this. Hope things get better for you too. smile

• Posted

Hi Libra thank you I most definitely will. Just want my quality of life back. This is so unfair that we women have to go through this. Sending hugs and positive vibes (even though I don't always feel that way lol) to yoy and all the women on here. <3 smile

• Posted

Hi Libra, glad to see you're still around answering questions on the forums. I've read your thread several times as I seem to have a similar problem with offensive discharge. I understand your discharge stopped after you passed a fibroid. May I ask how long the offensive discharge lasted? Did you experience pelvic pain at the time? Also, are you happy with ufe overall, did it ease your fibroid symptoms? I'm asking all these questions because I've had a hard time with ufe and there seems to be end to the offensive discharge!

• Posted

Hi Jess - I actually had the discharge for about 6 months before my UFE (it started following a hysteroscopic myomectomy I had in the summer) but there was no smell.  I had to wear pads etc but I figured it would stop once I had the UFE later in the year, so I pinned all my hopes on that.

The offensive smell started about a week after the procedure (once I was back on my feet and moving around a lot more) - and it lasted about 3 (maybe 4 weeks in all).

I don't remember intense pelvic pain but everything was pretty sore/tender.  Once i passed the fibroids (about 4 in all) the smell and discharge stopped.

Overall, really pleased with the UFE.   I achieved good shrinkage on my uterus (from 21x8x17cm to 9.8x7x7.3cm) and my periods (which were crazy heavy) are now 3-4 days max, and still really light nearly nearly 18 months later (touch wood).

I hope sharing my experience is helpful to you. 

The decision to have the UFE was a tough one for me.  I was 42, single, still hoped to have kids and I knew the UFE would pretty much kill my chances - but my periods were out of control.  They were heavy, lasted 2 weeks on average, I was severely anaemic, would black out occasionally, had to have iron infusions a few times, and eventually a blood transfusion.

I know from this forum that sometimes UFEs don't work for everyone, I also know for a non-invasive procedure, the recovery is a bitch!  That said, hang in there, it does get better.

Have you had your follow up MRI?  The discharge is likely the fibroids breaking down so if nothing else - it indicates it's working.

All the best with your recovery x

• Posted

Hi Libra,

Thank you so much for your reponse, sharing your experience has been extremely helpful to me as there is not enough information available elsewhere about the complications of ufe.

I, too, passed a fibroid yesterday. I noticed a piece of tissue sticking out when I was in the bathroom and tried pulling it but it wouldn't come out. So I called the ward and they said come over here because if you pull it out yourself you might cause bleeding and/or infection. So I did, and after a few hours wait, I was seen by a gynae who pulled it out with forceps. Wow, I felt like I was in one of those Alien films! The fibroid itself was quite long and thin. No idea whether there are more to come. The gynae said he didn't see anything else in there and that the womb did not look infected, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed this is the end of my troubles. I've had a bit of pelvic pain and bleeding since yesterday, but only a bit. The smell seems to have gone for now (yay!!!).

• Posted

Sorry, I was also going to say that I'm having an MRI in June or July, so I won't know until then how much my fibroids have shrunk. However, my tummy is a lot flatter now, and the pressure symptoms have largely gone, so I'm quite happy with the progress so far. Obviously, I will need to keep monitoring myself closely for signs of infection.

• Posted

oh wow! but good the smell is gone.  Sounds like it was quite a big one, which probably explains why it took so long to expel.  Hopefully the rest of your recovery goes smoothly xx

• Posted

Thank you for you good wishes. May I ask you whether you passed the four fibroids all at the same time or at intervals, and if the latter, how long between those intervals? The reason I'm asking is that after passing a fibroid on Friday I now have some abdominal pain and discharge, and am wondering whether there are more to come.

• Posted

I think I passed the first two within a week of each other.  After the first one the discharge was lighter and the smell disappeared.  I didn't have abdominal pain but just before I passed a fibroid, the discharge would become heavier (for about a day or so before).  There was still no smell so it wasn't a major issue for me. 

The first fibroid I expelled was the largest (size of an avocado? maybe a narrow avocado) and the last one about the size of a plum.  Once the last one passed, discharge went away.

The discharge you're having does sound like there's another fibroid to expel - but if the pain persists, you might want to see your doctor. 

Hang in there x

• Posted

Hi Libra, thanks for replying, this is really helpful to know. I think there could be another fibroid to expel as I'm having some discharge (although the smell is not nearly as bad as before ...) xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.