infection in knee after total knee revision

Posted , 4 users are following.

Has anyone out there had a infection in knee incision after total knee revision, i had my operation November 28th of this year, i am on my second type of antibiotics and i have have IV antibiotics at the hospital, but they did not admit me.  I am very concerned and depressed that they might have to take out knee.  I have another appointment with ortho next week and they also did some blood work. I am on clindamycin 300mg 2 times a day.  I think they will probable admit me next week if this is not cleared.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello April I am 7 weeks postop I had a Total new knee on the 31st October 2016 and I have had 2 Infection and also 2 lots of  Antibiotice one at the botton of the scar where thet took the clips out and one on the top I am on Fluclloxacillin and it looks like it is getting better. Going to Hospital today for my check up. Dont worry Just rest and take it easy cause sants coming  soon ! It will get better you sound like me worry about things take care xx
  • Posted

I wish I had something great to say. From what I understand you can have a superficial tissue infection that may clear with antibiotics. It it gets to your new joint, even IV antibiotics will not be effective and the joint needs to be removed. Mine was out (yep no joint) from May 5 till July 29......leg immobilized and no weight bearing during that time. For that period of time I was on IV antibiotics every 4 hours via PICC line. Unpleasant experience. Off work for my knee replacement for 8 months. Needless to say, I haven't done the other one.

Hope that it is superficial and can be cleared with oral antibiotics. If not, keep your chin up. This too shall pass.

• Posted

Thank you jean this 2 antibiotic seems to be working , i think it was not deep enough and just skin, but my pain is still really bad. 
  • Posted

I had an infection in the top of the incision. I had to go on antibiotics for over a month but it finally cleared up. The only problem is I lost a month of physio and now six months later I am still only at  a 75% bend. I am not sure what to do now. Going for more xrays next week and hope to god I don't need a revision. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.