Infection in the Incision

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm 6 weeks post op LTKR today an doing ok, taking one day at times exercising regularly icing resting and of course physical therapy, My scar/incision is had been looking good but on Tuesday my partner noticed it was reddish and a bit swollen at the base of the Incision, I made contact with Ortho Nurse who said come in straight away. To cut a long story short having burst the area a lot of puss came out and she tweezed out 3 stitches that hadn't been absorbed by my body and was causing infection. She said I'd I hadn't had it seen to it would have developed in something more serious, she dressed it and wants to check it again on Monday. Goes to show you just can't ignore the small things 😣

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Glad you noticed it Nuala, Take care and keep an eye on it. Best wishes
  • Posted

Nice work on spotting the redness and on attending to things right away!😊

Infection can hit quickly, and it also can be very serious if not dealt with ASAP!

So glad that all went well. Let us know how things go on Monday, OK?

Sending prayers of calm and strength today!😊

• Posted

Thank you for kind comments. I'm seeing surgeon on Monday as well so let you know how it goes.
  • Posted

Hi all. Just an update. I had my 6 week review with surgeon on 13th June who was quite pleased with progress,. He looked at the area where there had been an infection on the scar and remarked that these things can happen. Sutures don't get absorbed and come to the surface causing infection. The nurse dressed it and went back last Monday for removal. She seemed happy with it and said to let air at it etc and all will be good . Anyway I noticed the area purple wit a head on it yesterday and phoned nurse immediately couldn't get her so made a poultice myself drew the gunge from it and dressed it nurse rang me later and asked me to go to see her. She checked the area again inspecting for more sutures but no have a new dressing on for a week and she will check in with me then. You can't ignore these things cos she said they could turn more sinister. Ugh..

• Posted

Glad you are staying vigilant, Nuala! We must be our own advocates for healing!

For the first few months I routinely took my temperature several times a day to be on top of any elevation that might signal an infection.

Keep letting us know how things go for you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.