Infection under root canal

Posted , 4 users are following.

So about 4 days ago, I started getting this intense pain on the right side of my mouth. I had a root canal on one of my molars 5 years ago. Today I went to the dentist and he did his X-rays and compared how my root canal was looking. It's still the same. He tapped on top of the tooth and the pain was excruciating. However, there is a tiny dot under top part of the tooth. So he says it's probably just an infection. He prescribed me pain relievers and antibiotics. Also, I have chipped the top of the tooth so he wants to crown it (I was too young at the time for a crown).

So far, the pain relievers are barely helping and I've only taken 1 antibiotic so far.

The pain keeps waking me up and I think in the last 2 days I finished 2 boxes of dispirin and still had pain killers on top of that. I'm feeling so drained and I just want this pain to go away. Has this happened to anyone? Does it take long for the pain to subside? Do the antibiotics even work?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I've had two abscesses in the last three months. First one was cause I cracked my tooth around June of last year, waited until all the way until December to go to dentist, they said it wasn't badly infected, payed 1,000 dollars (which in paying my sister off still), they put me to sleep (scariest moment of my life) gave me iv antibiotics while I was under, and pulled ths tooth..now I went rocky dentist today to get a cavity filled..turns out the tooth next to it has a bad infection..she referred me to another's dentist, called them, saw them today, they took some more X-rays and couldn't find an infection..they took a 3D X-ray..still couldn't find one. I need to goo to first dentist soon and ask them why they saw or how they saw an infection when the other dentist didnt. It cost me 80 dollars just to be seen by the second dentist when all they did was take X-rays and said to get my cavity filled an drew not worry about the "infection". If there really isn't an infection I need to get it fixed ASAP because I'm not about to pay 1,000 dollars again like I did already. It's so confusing but I wish u luck and it will be fine as long as u take antibiotics. My friend cracked his tooth a few years ago and got a root canal, he told me last week that it wasn't hurting and guess what? He went to dentist today and they've said it was infected ..they gave him antibiotics and told him to come back in two weeks to see what the best option is. Let us know how everything goes. Good luck! If the pain is truly bad I would Calle another dentist, have the first dentist email the new dentist the X-ray and they will either do another root canal or extract it. U need to be seen right away!! Don't let them make u wait. I called Monday I get my cavity filled and got seen two days later. Same with my friend. U need to have it seen quicker. I'm not sure about root canals though. I usually get them pulled. Good luck. Antibiotics will fully work within 3 days. Take ibuprofen for the inflammation and pain.

• Posted

It’s good you got a second opinion. 

I was going to a dental office for years before i realized they were a dishonest chop shop, over billing my insurance, creating  tooth medical issues that were not there, and upselling me on proceedures. What a load of crap! I got refunded $10K from the insurance co. Then... i went to another dentist, and guess what! They did the same thing! Creating facticious tooth issues where  are there is Rampant, i tell you RAMPANT in the dental industry. These botchers create more problems than they solve. Both dental offices i got second opinions and it turned out there was nothing wrong with a tooth, when they said there was problems, they told me i had cavities when i really didn’t. They didn’t care that drilling into the enamel of my healthy teeth was unnecessary and permanently damaged their structure. They just wanted to billbthe insurance, collect my copay and Cash in, all at my health expense! JERKS!  Both places are held in high edteem in the community. I want to kick their A- - ! I’m now with a dentist who is a humble and skilled craftsman, which is how a dentist should be, Dr. Wernick, is a staright shooter. FIND a dentist like him. It is the difference between a good life and a  bad life. 

The old addage:  Doctors will KILL you is true. But not if you find one with integrity. Don’t want to say it’s a needle in a haystack but you need to be vigilant and realize that many dentists are useless scammers. Sad, but that has been my experience. Maybe i’m an easy target, who knows?

• Posted

First of all, I really feel for you. I'm going through a lot of dental issues right now. I had two abscesses in mid-February, and the pain was excruciating. It took 3-4 days for the antibiotics to do their work. My dentist told me to take 600 mg Ibuprofen, adding a Tylenol if that alone wasn't working. It helped somewhat, but periodically rinsing with a teaspoon of salt in lukewarm water, and then applying pure clove oil to the area, is what really got me through it. Many pharmacies have this if you ask for it. Taking that amount of aspirin could be very dangerous from what I've read, so please stop, but I completely understand why you were compelled to take it!! If you've already had a root canal in that tooth, there is a possibility that there is an extra root that was missed. This has happened to me twice. X-rays did not reveal it either time. I had my first root canal at 17, and the tooth bothered me until I was 28 when they discovered the extra root. I was told for years that there was no way that tooth could hurt because the roots were gone (not!). I'm now in the process of having my upper teeth removed over the course of about 6 weeks. The dentist started with the side of my mouth that did not have the abscesses/infected teeth that I mentioned before. Late last Friday night, long after the dentist was gone for the weekend of course, those abscesses came back with a vengeance. I went to the emergency room on Saturday because I knew that I needed antibiotics ASAP. The pain was unbearable. They gave me 800 mg Ibuprofen and a Vicodin, with prescriptions to fill the next day (including an antibiotic). I did not help at all. I was in agony until Monday when those two teeth were pulled. I've given birth twice, had painful recovery from surgeries and other health issues, but nothing compared to that pain. Do not stop taking that antibiotic, even though it isn't relieving your pain. It's protecting you from an infection that can spread and cause MUCH worse health problems. I am so sorry you are going through this.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.