Infection Update

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, Many thanks for all your good wishes, hugs etc. It really means so much to me. I've been home for a couple of weeks now. I had a total hip revision No. 5 on 6th May, together with a Tummy tuck and the fat removed placed into my leg to fill the void from a simply massive psuedotumour.  Trouble was I really didnt need a tummy tuck so its been every scrap of fat has been scraped off and I've been stitched back together so tightly its difficult to stand up straight or reach up.

All was well even though I have lost all abductor muscles now, [the tochanter broke with the last dislocation] and have few functioning other muscles, due to 3 sugeons doing the wrong thing and metal on metal corrosion. The 'plumbing in' of my tummy fat, I was told to imagine a loaf of bread...... was not only to fill the void but to introduce a healthy blood supply to the area, and try and stop the endless cycle of tumours forming. 

Fast forward 3 weeeks and seeing the Plastics consultant she thought there was a lot of fluid around the leg, and proceeded to aspirate it.  2 days later I became ill with fever and infection! Back in hospital for 2 washouts and home on oral anti biotics and IV ones. Unfortunately the oral ones Rifadin made me so unwell, lost 4.5lbs in 3 days. I had to reduce them but am trying to slowly build them up again. I've had a real battle with this infection and have felt simply awful.but fortunately as of this week my inflamatory markers have come down. I'm trying to keep well for another 6 weeks or so to give time for my 'loaf of bead to mature and develop itsown blood supply through the whole thing......clever stuff! However I have only less than 5% chance of not having to have the metal work taken out for a number of months before I can start all over again!

Its really tough, It really frightens me as I cannot have a spacer because of muscle loss. Having experienced the pain of dislocation 4 times,  cannot see how the pain could be any different from this..... does anyone else have experience of this? Your thoughts and advice would be really helpfull.

Love to all you Hippies

PatsyX

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Patsy,

That sounds awful. What a nightmare! I have not been through a revision or dislocation from my trhr in December 2015 that was due to a traumatic injury. I have recently been experiencing pain in my surgical leg for about a week now and my knee will go weak from time to time trying to sort of go out. Probably due to over exercising or wrong kind of exercises and not being careful enough. So now I am taking a break. When did you have your first surgery and first dislocation?

Also, what were some symptoms that something was wrong. Hugs to you and praying for your full recovery!

Cindy

• Posted

Hi Patsy,poor you.How are you now.? I hope your feeling better.Where did you have your hip op done?I hope your taking it easy.regards Amanda h
  • Posted

Afternoon patsy. Gosh I can't even begin to know all your pain!! I had a trhr back in July. 3 weeks later I find out I dislocated it and had to have a total hip revision. Was walking with a dislocated hip for at least a week. Had to b 6 weeks non weight bearing and no hip exercises or hip flexion past 80 degrees for 6 weeks. I was really depressed. I'm now almost 11 months out now and still struggling with stiffness and discomfort. I'm still using a cane and limp without it. Now I'm having to deal with nerve pain and sensitivity. Anything that touches my thigh bothers me so much. I've had injections into the cutaneous nerve in groin area twice. Not much help, thigh is numb and tingling when anything touches it. My first surgery was anterior the second surgery he cut me about 3 & 1/2 inches from first incision. Had to lift butt muscle so having pain from that too. But my situation is small compared to yours. I wish I could offer you some advice.....I'll keep you in my prayers. I hope one day soon you will be feeling better. Hugs 🤗. Linda

• Posted

dear patsy,

I am so incredibly sorry to read this - I don't know what to say --- 

were it the same surgeons/doctors every time? 

do you think that this is a malpractice case?

I wish I could give you advice or something to soothe your worries, but I don't -

praying and sending you healing - 

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Hi Renee and everyone else. Thanl you for your good wishes. Sorry I havent replied sooner, but have been feeling poorly. No Ive had 3 different surgeons do the wrong thing! and yes I think  should have a Malpractice case, but because this has been going on so long, they are arguing that I.ve could have run out of time! I,m now left severely disabled in horrenous pain and looking forward to the reast of my life in a wheelchair. I'm only 64, so the prospect is awful. I've just got to try and combat this infection and see what happens next. 

Love PatsyX

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.