Infection with cold or LPR?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello, I would be grateful for your opinions on the following.

background

Female age 71

Mild asthma diagnosed after a cold in 2002

Gastritis diagnosed this year.

Allergic rhinitis diagnosed after a ENT throat scope in 2015. this was done in March of 2015 following a bad cold at Christmas which affected my voice and as I sing in a choir I was worried might have LPR as I had suffered from periods of throat mucus which I could not swallow and odd throats.The throat scope was fine and I was diagnosed with rhinitus and I was given advice on voice care.

Presently I have an awful cold now day 16 cough is almost constant and choking at times mucus in throat all the time and yellow blobs of mucus being coughed up throat feels horrible and nasty taste. I should add that I dread getting a cold because they always last 4 weeks. with all the symptoms I have mentioned. I have been back and forth to gp had finger prick tests which showed no bacterial infection. Today I went back as the cough last night was non stop for 4 hours and no sleep for 2 nights. she wanted to give me steroids but remembered I am a steroid responder and as I have glaucoma they are not advised unless really necessary. I have been given a course of penicillin and gp said if you are no better will have to have steroids. I wanted a referral to ENT as I have had a croky speaking voice and so singing voice for 2 weeks and I am worried it's lpr. she said can't refer you until 6 weeks just in case it is the cold causing it all. Have been half heartedly doing low acid diet with high PH water. Sorry to go on don't feel well and tired because of the coughing. Feel like no one is helping.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Meant to say also I had a very similar virus in 2007. Lasted about 8 weeks although I don't think I was coughing as much. I remember it well as it around my 60th Birthday and I was retiring. We had to cancel all birthday arrangements and could not even do last couple of weeks at work. This was from end of September until November when I was able to take part in one of my birthday surprises. After this I was left with the mucus in throat thing but not too bad I had never had it before. It seemed to be down hill then healthwise. Won't bore you with that. Feel better now I have had a rant. The trouble is that no one knows what LPR is or they think you are imagining it all as a former anxiety sufferer it does not help because that's what they think it is anxiety.

• Posted

hi, sorry to hear your story as part of it resonates with my wifes problems. she suffers with sinus headaches from time to time during which she has the same symptoms of horrible mucus down the back of the throat leaving her with a sensation of burning throughout her body for about 2-3 mins. this also leaves a horrible taste in her mouth. she is due for an ent scan shortly to try and get to the bottom of it once and for all. she would also be prone to UTI infection. gp usually gives antibiotic but it keeps going round in circles. i do hope you get sorted out soon.

• Posted

Thank you for your kind words. I hope your wife will soon be able to get to the bottom of her problem. Take care.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.