Inflamatory osteoarthritis

Posted , 5 users are following.

I very abruptly in a month 3 years ago I came down with pain in my feet hands knees hips back amd shoulders. Long misdiagnosis but I recently had exrays done and they foud osteo in all areas. The worst is in the mcp joints of all my fingers at a moderate level. My question is has anyone ever got osteo in so many joints so fast. Also I am taking plaquenil and it seems to be working for the inflamation so my second question is does anyone experience inflamation. Its mostly in feet hamds amd knees.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

This is called 'Polyarthritis'.  I have it too.  It did come on very quickly, but I can't remember how long it took.  Plaquenil is the usual medicine to take, or MTX.  I have stomach troubles so could take neither.  I have to rely on pain killers, but I am never completely pain free.

Hope your suffering stays at a reasonable level.  There is always someone on this site who will listen/help so keep asking questions.

Good luck. 💐🌹

• Posted

Thanks for that info Constance. I have been on plaquenil for 4 months and it has given me a more normal life. I have cut my pain meds by 3/4. I also seem to have more energy. Its not perfect but its better than I was. Like you I had terrible GI problems but after the first month they had improved. By month 4 they are less again. I have high blood pressure so cannot take NSAID. Wishing you a minimal pain day.
  • Posted

My OA came on rapidly in my fingers. I am now pain free as I have had 2 finger joint replacements, highly recommended 
    • Posted

I have been wondering since my last dr appt a question I should have asked. When do the do joint replace ment. Is it because of pain? Is it because of joint damage? And also who decides this Rheumatologist GP or surgeon?
  • Posted

I'm not questioning your doctor's diagnosis, I'm sure that you have a because it is obvious on an X-ray. What concerns me is that you mentioned all the places that hurt when a person has polymyalgia rheumatica. This is an autoimmune disease and doing a simple blood test to check for your inflammatory markers can help to diagnose PMR. If it is determined that it is PMR they will treat the disease with prednisone.

Although this is not the norm with PMR once I was diagnosed with PMR several of my joints started hurting and was identified by x-ray as OA. It is absolutely possible to have both.

• Posted

With my first Rheumy I was diagnosed with PMR and was on PRED for 22mo. The second Rheumy did not agree and wanted me off steroids. Of course I felt worse off them. My GP insisted I had Fibro so I tried every Fibro drug known. Almost 3 years in they did more xrays and found osteopina in my hands and Osteoartheitis in nearly all the joints in my fingers also both hips and knees back shoulders and funny none in my feet but they do hurt.

I have appt for bone scan soon. I do wonder if I have more than just Osteo but for now Im thankful for the paquenil it actually helps more than the Pred.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.