Inflammation Diet

Posted , 8 users are following.

One of my doctors told me lose weight ( I gained weight due to depression from PHN).

Eat a diet that lowers the inflammation in your body, won't get rid of PHN will help with the pain as PHN is inflammation of the nerves.

Anybodies thoughts?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I'm not sure about any specific diets that lower inflammation, but I have noticed that my weight fluctuates a lot depending on my medication and the doses. 

• Posted

If you mean depression caused over-eating, I could see weight gain from that. However, for me both the Gab and inactivity caused weight gain. Plus, I have to admit, it was Christmas Cookie season and not-moving plus enjoying my cookies (I am a REALLY good baker, she said modestly) was a bad combination.

However, as I started to feel better and I could walk more, I got more motivated to cut back on my eating and eatier healthier.

As far as a specific diet, a quick search shows it's basically the typical, good advice to have more fruits and vegetables, avoid sugar, increase fiber, avoid bad fats (saturated) and more of the good ones. I have a terrible sweet too and I just realized something! I've cut back on sweets the last 3 months and ate even more fruits and vegetables than I used too and I'm feeling better!

Is that co-incidence? I'm more active, so I feel better, I'm losing weight, my depression is better, my stamina is better, I've returned to a more "normal" life...Hmm, maybe the change in eating has helped? Who knows.

• Posted

A healthy diet generally contributes to good health so presumably good health would aid in pain control at least one would assume so. Depression and inactivity is part of life with PHN, the pain is so debilitating it renders sufferers immobile and there is no quality-of-life. We are tasked with trying to create a new world for ourselves but I know for me the last thing I want to do is go out and talk to people through the moans and groans 😔.

• Posted

You are correct in assuming that an anti-inflammatory diet helps with pain as I know it helps with my arthritis. I am also taking to Tumeric with pepper but have not as yet noticed if pain has been reduced. There are a number of articles on the Internet about foods to avoid and foods to consume. I keep a list in my kitchen but I invariably find that I get in the something I shouldn't hence higher rates of pain. If anyone others have had success with this type of diet please let us know.

• Posted

Hi sheila.  Building one's immune system with basic vitamins like C, D, Omega 3s may be part of it.  Look up vitamins for PHN or shingles.  It's a viral infection of sorts and I know Vit C as a natural antiviral in itself.  You can do a search on that to see.  You might consider supplementing with basic vitamins daily.  C can be taken 500 mg at a time throughout the day.  It's an overall effect, so it may not be noticed instantly.  Juicing (in a nutribullet) may be helpful as well, to really get whole-food vitamins right away.  I've heard amazing things on it.

• Posted

Just to say, it may not be a healthy diet alone for many.  That's where supplements come in. 

• Posted

Turmonetic ( spelled wrong )  is a great anti-inflammatory

suppliment 

Builds up your immune system

• Posted

Thanks for that paul...turmonetic, haven't heard of it and will look into.

• Posted

Well, thus far, nothing shows up for Turmonetic. Another spelling maybe?
    • Posted

Correct spelling  it's   Turmeric with Curcumin  ( pipertine which is black

pepper ) in it.

• Posted

My other post is being moderated, however, I found one Turmeric and black pepper.  Very interesting and would consider it.
    • Posted

Rusti, I take vitamin C, D, calcium, a multi and omega-3's daily. I juice with blackberries, raspberries, strawberries, cranberries and blueberries. I add either puréed spinach or kale, and milled flaxseed's. I alternate with coconut milk/water, pure juice, or just plain water. Occasionally I will toss an orange, lemon or lime in the smoothie. Also use a protein powder when I feel the need for more protein in my diet. I have always been a proponent of supplementation and have done so for many years. Highly recommend it to everyone.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.