Inflammation in eye after cataract surgery has left eye smaller than the other.

Posted , 3 users are following.

two weeks after cataract surgery I developed inflammation in the eye and my eye shrank in size. Seven weeks on and the clinic says the inflammation has gone but my eye still appears smaller in size then the other eye. It's not as small as it was but still not gone back to the same size as the other one. The clinic said it should in time. Has anyone else experienced this? It's quite noticeable.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I had same problem my right eye  smaller   I had both  cataract surgery   and noticed my right eye smaller   and  they can't do anything  do with that and  I will be see  my regular  eye  dr  to have check up and I will ask him  why   and will let you know  probably  few weeks smile 

• Posted

Thank you for responding. My next clinic appointment is not for a few weeks and I will let you know if I learn anything new or if my eye returns to normal in the meantime. I forgot to mention the surgery has left me with a 'dry eye' for which I have lubricating drops - i don't know if this could be a contributing factor. I hope, in the meantime, that your eye returns to normal. 

• Posted

I am still using  Blink Tear  drop  4 to 6  times a day  only right eye  from dry   left eye  perfect  .. Will see my regular eye dr  asap .. 
    • Posted

I am using Clinitas Multi couple of times a day, I find it very good. How long ago did you have the surgery on your right eye? My right eye will in due course also need cataract surgery, which I'm apprehensive about, though I must say that despite the problems I've had with my left eye, the vision is perfect.

• Posted

Don’t think an eye can change size after cataract surgery.  Here is a response I found on the American Academy of Opthomology where someone asked a similar question and was answered by one of their doctors.

“Most people who come to me with a complaint that one eye is getting smaller are actually noticing a lowering of the upper eyelid. This can come from neurologic (nerve) problems, weakness of the muscle and/or its tendon, disinsertion of the tendon (common as we age), excess upper eyelid skin (sometimes associated with fat pad prolapse), or weakness and drooping of the forehead. Please consult your ophthalmologist who can examine you and recommend an appropriate course of action.

At the same time, he or she can actually measure to see if the eye is truly sunken. This can sometimes occur after an eye injury, weeks to months later, but is otherwise rare. After a Bell's Palsy, the appearance of a sunken eye can be noted.

Finally, sometimes the opposite eye is bulging, making the other eye seem to be sunken. Commonly, this is a sign of Grave's disease, but can also be caused by space-occupying disorders of the orbit (eye socket).

Again, simple examination by an ophthalmologist can determine what's causing your eye to appear smaller, or whether you indeed have a smaller eye (which is almost never actually present).”

• Posted

Thank you for responding with information and advice. I will be going back to the cataract clinic in a few weeks and will talk to the doctor again. I will let you know the outcome and thank you again for the info.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.