Inflammation of Blood Vessels?

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hello all,

Having just finished helping our youngest daughter move, I spent some time last night wondering about why I felt the way I felt during the move.

I was a very active, energetic, and fit person until I contracted PMR.  I'm a 67 year-old man and am trying to be as active as possible in spite of the PMR.

Yesterday, before prednisone "kicked-in," I think I scared everyone with my huffing and puffing.  I was better in the afternoon, but in the morning I was exhausted and out of breath -- A LOT.  So here is my question:

If the pain of PMR is coming from an inflammation of the blood vessels, and if that inflammation swells the blood vessels and therefore restricts flow, are we endangering ourselves -- especially our hearts, by exercising?

Thanks for your input ahead of time.

4 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

And let's not forget that shortness of breath can also be a side effect of the pred. I'm often short of breath in the mornings before it kicks in.

Interested about the improvement after a glass of wine - I wonder if I can use that as an excuse to drink more - because the more I drink the better I will feel?? LOLOLOL

• Posted

I had forgotten the terrible shortness of breath I had for at least eighteen months... This was one of the symptoms that ceased almost immediately when I stopped taking Omneprazole that along with the cessation of really bad palpitations made me determined never r to take PPI s again. I wonder if Pred and PPI s react with each other?
    • Posted

If you look online you will find plenty of people onPPIs complaining of breathlessness. Apparently it is described in the data sheet as a "very rare" occurrence. Pred itself can also cause it so I imagine if you are unlucky it could possibly potentiate it.
  • Posted

Hi

I too have experienced shortness of breath .... On starting on pred .

does seem a little easier now 3 weeks in , but do have days where I am noticing that the breathlessness seems to come from nowhere .

i wondered if it was a common side effect .

helene 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.