Inflammation parameters skyrocketed 2 weeks after onset of symptoms and 10 days of prednisone, why?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I started having an "episode" of AS 14 days ago. I've been on prednisone for 10 days.

I've had several blood tests and Monocytes and C-reactive protein were normal during the worst of it (on and off prednisone). The yesterday's test has however shown that Monocytes have quadrupled way above normal (1800+) and C-reactive protein went from <0.3 to over 5.

I'm still taking prednisone. Isn't it supposed to lower the inflammation?

My SI pain is nowhere near as bad, I walk almost normally and can sit for a while. But, I started "feeling" my knees and even here and there a couple of fingers. But it goes away.

I'l seeing my rheumathologist this week, but I'm wondering if there's something I've been doing wrong.

I'l off starches. I have no idea what to do.

Thank you!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I'm new here and still very early into my research but you mentioned you are off starch.

Before I even knew what AS was, I began an elimination diet because my stomach was in bits! I first went off gluten, then dairy and I kept a diary to monitor what I was eating. I realised citrus fruits and tomatoes are a major problem for me so I gave those up too and now I'm just learning about the low starch diet.

But for me the most dramatic change was when I cut gluten. Before that I was having terrible night sweats, waking up soaked, having night terrors all night, intense muscle cramps and feeling dehydrated a lot with excessive thirst.

I also had bad cramps in my intestines and my bowel movements were terrible like severe constipation with some bouts of diarrhoea.

Anyway within 3days I had a normal bowel movement which was a huge deal to me. I began sleeping so much better and the night sweats are completely gone.

Gradually over the last 2months my symptoms have gone away one by one. It took time for my stomach because I was still eating tomato products for awhile but since I cut those my stomach has improved a lot and I havnt had any cramps.

I'm still not even sure if I have AS but I am treating it as if I do until i know for sure so I'm staying as active as possible, doing stretches regularly etc and watching posture especially how I sleep at night.

But I think it would be helpfull for you to try an elimination diet. As far as I know starch feeds the bacteria that is associated with AS but other food sensitivies or intolerances could also play a role in triggering symptoms.

It may also be a good idea to take a pro-biotic. I've been taking them for like 6months now because it's good to try and make sure there is more good bacteria than bad in the gut plus i try to eat pro-biotic foods too and I take turmeric and aloe Vera daily for inflammation.

It was also recommended to me lately to try a fish oil supplement so I take one that has omega 3,6,9 and vitamin D in it for the joints. I just take a table spoon of that daily.

Again I am no expert but I defo believe in trying some holistic approaches in conjunction with what your doctor recommends. I fully believe supplements can be helpfull in reducing inflammation as well as diet.

I actually used to work with some natural products years ago before I ever felt sick so I was lucky that I knew a little about it before having to face this possible diagnosis.

I hope you get over this flare soon. Sending love

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply and support!

I'm glad that you have found a way to control your symptoms. 

The problems with constipation and diarrhea, could have it been IBS? I would sometime be so bloated people would think i was pregnant.

I'll start taking supplements you have suggested. I've been thinking about it for a while. I'll just have to find the ones with least fillers. 

I've been off dairy (also have PCOS) and gluten for years now (also suffer from Hashimoto's). But I cannot guarantee that it has been 100%. Gluten is everywhere! 

I'll make a plan for an elimination diet. Since my puberty I've had problems with food. Starches would not only give me belly problems, my legs would swell. Water retention was pretty drastic. 

I'll have to find a convenient probiotic. The ones I've tried  didn't help. Over the years I got to the point where I couldn't digest anything that is high in fiber. Which was hard since thyroid problems cause sluggish digestion => constipation.

I do juice fasts a couple of times a year and I always notice dramatic improvements. When I get all the results and see all the doctors, I may juice fast and try a water fast for a while before the elimination diet. 

You know your body best. Whatever doctors say, keep pushing. On of my endocrinologists, the first one that made a huge difference, told me that regardless of good results I may have as long as I have the symptoms, something is wrong and I shouldn't ignore it. 

Thanks again!

• Posted

It's nice to meet someone who is open to diet changes like me. Most people think I'm crazy lol if I tell them I'm doing this but I feel like I have nothing to lose by trying. I think with all these more natural treatments they can take time to work like at least 2-3months. It's a slow process but don't give up. Pro-biotic rich foods are a really good idea. I eat live goats yoghurt daily as well as a pro-biotic tablet. It's hard at first figuring out what to eat and what not to eat. I'm reading a book called the plant paradox. The man who wrote the book used to be a heart surgeon with years of experience. He now owns a treatment clinic where he treats disease through diet. He has treated people for all of those things you mentioned above with good results. He doesn't just talk about gluten but grains in general. I also think the grain free or ketogenic diet can have good results for some people but it's all trial and error.

I hope you feel better soon ?

• Posted

Try alternative treatment of a few drops of coconut oil in the belly button has helped a lot of people with joint issues . Read about it online. You don’t lose anything to try it. 

Recently a friend of mine started doing this at night before sleep and on the third day her knee is much better . All the best! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.