Inflammatory Breast Cancer?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello, ill be the first to admit I am a hypochondriac and while to a lot of people see it as a way to tease me, its actually quite severe and Ive been having panic attacks lately.

On to my current issue... with my anxiety Ive been experiencing chest tightness and shooting pains in my breast, muscles have been aching in my shoulder, neck and back. I panicked a few times thinking it was my heart but lately have been feeling more at ease with that. Then last night i noticed the breast on the same side as the aching shoulder, my breast looked mildely redder, it seemed to get a little better but still red around the areola. Then looking closer i think im seeing peau d'orange but i cant remember if my skin has always looked like that? ive made some phone calls and waiting to hear back from my gynocologist but in the mean time im FREAKING out! im almost 32 and have two small children. im thinking worst case here... image

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Edited

Dear Chelsea,

What magnification is this?

I see this on both breasts. Re: peau d'orange, it is only on a section of the breast over the breast cancer. Do you feel an immobile breast mass? Is there a family history breast cancer?

I am by no means trying to minimize your symptoms, but alleviate your anxiety. When anxiety cripples you, as hypochondria can cause you to perseverate, then not be taken seriously when something is wrong, BTW, it is time to take action steps. I find it cruel to tease someone with any type of anxiety. My heart goes out to you.

I have had breast cancer, and never became anxious because I knew it is treatable!

Regarding your anxiety, have you had counseling and/or are you on any medications to help with your sensitive nature, reactivity to negative stimuli?

I have Major Depression and PTSD and was helped by psychotherapy and medications, which I still take. The counseling and medications have been life altering for the positive. I could not live with the terror and horrors I had experienced, and desperately needed help.

You obviously need to have a bilateral diagnostic mammogram and probably diagnostic ultrasound, as you are young.

I am a retired Nurse Practitioner, and used to conduct Breast Clinics.

Please answer my questions...I really care.

Best Regards

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Thank you so much for replying! I also didnt feel like anything you said was dismissive, and anything to make me feel less anxious is wonderful. The "dimpling" seems to cover a large part, of the top of both breasts and maybe a little on the sides, where my breast was a little red, I didnt notice any of the skin really looking like that. Maybe just hair follicles? Theres no family history of breast cancer or really any cancer in my family and I also cant feel any immobile masses, my breasts are quite large and pretty dense with "lumps and nodules" that are all moveable and balloon like. I had a breast u/s down in my early 20's to clarify what i was feeling. As for the mental part, I have seen a number of counselors, and was put on Latuda, and then Zoloft for a short time and but was taken off cuz they didnt seem to help, i am not against seeing someone or even medications because it would be such a relief to feel better! I was told by my GP and Gyno that I should use the walk in clinic or urgent care for what I described in my breast, which doesnt make me feel very confident, But it sounds like my only options to get the ball rolling. Thank you again for repyling to my post!

• Posted

Also I meant to add, the picture was just taken with my phone and then uploaded with the smallest size I could fit into the post.

• Posted

Your gynecologist and primary care clinician both sound terrible and dismissive. Often, the urgent care will refer you back to your GP.

Latuda and Zoloft are not great anti-anxiety medications. (I've been on Zoloft and a drug similar to Latuda.)

Where do you live?

Best Regards

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Thats how I felt! I mentioned everything and even said I wasnt sure if i felt a mass or not, mostly because I wanted to be taken seriously. Also to my untrained, hands Im not sure if I can or its the usual fibroids that I am feeling. Im also thinking i need to head back for pyschotherapy and see what they can do, because without even be diagnosed I have this terrible sense of dread, and feel like I am preparing for something awful to happen. Then any ache or pain exacerbates my anxiety but I think the aches and pains are part of my mental health. I live in Oregon, and since its Friday I will still go to the walk in clinic and see what they say, but I have a feeling Im going to be bounced around a lot...

• Posted

Chelsea,

I am not certain how you feel about Planned Parenthood, but they might be able to examine your breasts and give you an order for a diagnostic mammogram/ultrasound. I am not familiar with Oregon. I am from the east coast. I have used Planned Parenthood when I had no health insurance for my annual gyn exam and mammogram order.

Their practitioners would probably be more knowledgeable regarding women's health and breast masses/cancer.

Best Regards

Merry Juliana

• Edited

I didnt think of them, but thats a great idea, I really do appreciate your health and suggestions!

• Posted

Hi sorry to jump on this post I am new to this and don't know how to post my own I was wondering what anyone thought about my breasts if it looks like bc I know its rare but I feel like I have it in both breasts they just don't look right to me xximage

• Posted

Did you ever find out what it was, Jodie? I have exactly the same thing, and I'm scared.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.