Inflammed pancreas

Posted , 1 user is following.

I all,

I got a quick question. I got severe bloody diarrhea over a couple of years ago. December 2016. I didn't go hospital but saw my GP 5 days later. He Gave me a calprotectin test which was in the thousands and off the chart. He didn't give me any antibiotics and referred me to an urgent cancerclinic who then referred me for a colonoscopy. I had the colonoscopy about 2 months later which then showed mild inflammation and biopsies showed no evidence of Crohn's. still not given any medication. I then repeated the calprotectin a few weeks later which came bk normal. I was then referred to the gastroentoligist in about march 2017. He said unlikely Crohn's as it only lasted about 10 days and put it down to infection. Sent me for small bowel MRI and came bk normal. He didn't give me anything for infection. Said it had cleared up as my calprotectin was normal.

I decided to see a nutritionist about 4 months after my consultant appt and calprotectin was 219 went bk to consultant told it was "a blip" and could be many things 95% certain not Crohn's. Told this by 2 consultants. Had some stomach cramps since but nothing much. The nutritionist also checked my Elastase-1 which is to with my pancreas it came bk at 170 which is slightly low. Should be greater than 200 so went bk to the consultant who repeated the test. The test came bk showing severe exocrine pancreas insufficiency which is caused by a few things Inc Crohn's and chronic pancreatitis. Pancreatitis being the most common cause. This was 2 yrs ago yet at the time I was told my results were normal. I only found this out as I get my results online. 2 and a half yrs on and I've now repeated the Elastase-1 test and its now 110. My question is could the inflammation I got over 2yrs ago spread to my pancreas? I'm devastated because I hardly drink and to know my pancreas have been damaged and it could of been prevented. Epi is a complication of pancreatitis and Crohn's and surely I'd know if I had either. I get a dull cramp at times but nothing severe but I do have IBS. I have my hospital app in 3 month's. I also repeated my calprotectin about a month ago which was 53 so not much of a concern. Has anyone else had this test? The only reason I repeated it was because I saw my results and not because of my symptoms. And does this mean my pancreas is damaged? and does it sound like Crohn's.

and also my immunoglobulin iga and igm is high which i think is to do with infection which i think thats wat i have. why dont they give antibiotics for infection? even my dog got metronidazole for colitis ha ha.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.