Infliximab

Posted , 5 users are following.

I started infliximab six weeks ago and it seems to be making me flare up, make the diareah worse, horrendous stomach pain and sweating at nIght. Has anyone else experienced this with infliximab.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

During all your various meds and treatments, have you tried mesalamine enemas?
    • Posted

Yes if that's the foam. They make me flare up for some reason.

• Posted

Hi Tina - I really feel for you, life’s tough with UC! I had an infusion of Infliximab as a last resort after all other medicine failed. Regrettably it had no effect and I had an Ileostomy 2 and a half years ago. After 5 years of struggling with UC it was a life saver in more ways than one. I’m completely healthy and take no drugs. Infliximab can have some nasty side effects.

fingers crossed that things improve.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. I did want surgery but the surgeon I saw put me of saying there are lots of complications and I might have a bag for life. I'm terrified of having surgery now afyer speaking to him. Would you recommend surgery.

• Posted

Hi Tina - I can only speak for myself. My symptoms became worse and worse despite immunosuppressants, enemas, suppositories and a double decreasing dose of Steroids following 2 Flare Ups. Inflimab was my last chance and it didn’t work. Surgery had been mentioned and I too was terrified. In the end I had no choice because the fear was that it could become toxic. I now have a permanent Stoma Bag but can do anything I could before. The difference is that I am drug free, healthy and free of UC because I’ve no Colon. So, I suppose, I would recommend it. I should qualify my response by saying Im a 60 year old married man. Obviously there can be issues if you are single or younger than I. The fear of impotance or not being able to conceive are a real concern.

I hope things improve and become clearer for you. 

• Posted

Hi,

I started infliximab in December and had the same problem. I felt okay at first but then had horrible stomach pains. I am now on it every 6 weeks and that has been helping. But still worse stomach pains than before I started. I still haven’t figured out why. 

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. I am just wondering wether it is worth continuing with the infliximab
  • Posted

No not foam, if you got foam, it was probably a cortisteroid....I'm talking about a liquid mesalamine enema, theu come in little plastic bottles and if you have never tried, then I suggest you try. If you end up getting some, it should be about 4 boxes of 8 bottles, so you get plenty. If you decide to get some, let me know and I will give you more instructions on how to use them, different then the instructions that come with them and different from instructions you may find on the internet. I am 3 years in remission, and take no meds. My mother had her colon removed. I tried all meds and diets except for immunosuppressants, none of which ever worked. The mesalamine enemas I saw almost instant results, after my symptoms went down, then I took other actions to finish the healing....Do you know if you have left-side UC or has it progressed to right-side?...God bless

• Posted

Than you for your reply. Im glad that you are doing well its a nightmare this disease. I have left sided ulcerative colitis. I have tried the small bottles of mesalzine foam enemas but they made me flare up. I was taking mesalazine tablets and I started getting rashes and my hair started falling out and the colitis got worse. Thank you for your help. I will try and find what they are online.
  • Posted

Hi Tina, there is a small chance of allergy to mesalamine. You can Google the rare side effects from this, as well as the interactions with other drugs it can have.

So I'm sure you have tried so many restrictive diets and probiotics, as did I. The godsend for me was when the mesalamine enema worked to relieve symptoms, then I was allowed to see what was agitating my disease. I'm sure you have heard of keeping a food diary to figure out what agitates your symptoms, but what they don't say is when you are in flare up, it's nearly impossible to narrow down what is agitating you, since quite frankly it seems like everything. I helped a friend of mine who was having UC issues and within a couple of weeks she was already off her Lialda, though I did not tell her to do so. Tina, the problem with most oral medicines is they have their own side effects, which frankly are very similar to UC side effects. So...I don't know what current oral meds you are on, but when you get the mesalamine enemas, you might try not taking your oral meds. I know that is a big leap of faith! Also, I mentioned earlier that when the enema worked for me, that it allowed me to see what food was no good for my system. That food was red meat, cows, MOO MOO's😁. Twice after the enemas removed all my symptoms, I ate red meat, and had red blood the very next day. My friend has also removed red meat. You might try removing red meat and sorry to say, dairy really isn't handled well by humans. You know we are the only species that drinks another species milk on a regular basis! Get yourself some almond milk, plant based butter, and only olive oil for Cooking. While your taking the enemas you might also eat 3 coconut milk yogurts per day, that way you get live probiotics, without the cow milk. I also take a sip a day of Inner-Eco coconut water live probiotics. Back to the enemas, if you do get some, pleaae please write me so I can give you instructions on the use of them... God bless

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. I am seeing the gastro nurse tomorrow so I will ask her to prescribe me some.
  • Posted

By the way Tina, get off whole grains, and fiber. Lots of stuff out there says to eat all that, well that's all good for healthy people, but for UC, imagine a scab being rubbed off everyday, not much healing going on! You want to slow down everything. Eat soft foods, eggs, avacadoes, berries, white flaky fishes, and lots and lots of hydration! Hydrate using water or coconut water is a great natural inflammatory while also hydrating, up to a liter a day.

• Posted

Tina, I see rashes as one of the less serious side effect on the drugs website....you might try to remember if you were taking other drugs when you used the foam, you may have had an interaction with another drug....if you Google its drug interactions, there are 197 of them ! 37 major, 160 moderate!...so you might have to go clean when trying itsmile ... Good luck...
    • Posted

I got the rashes when I was taking the mesalazine tablets and my hair started falling out. That is one of the reasons they prescribed the foam instead. I am really struggling on infliximab at the moment and am worried about the cancer risk. I am thinking of changing to vendulizamab but might try the liquid mesalazine enemas in the mean time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.