Info

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi Everyone,

just had the bookman in at work and he has left the British Medical Association Concise guide to medicines & drugs.

Orlistat is listed and for anyone interested this is what it says:

\" Orlistat blocks the acton of stomach and pancreatic enzymes (lipases) that digest fats, so that the fats are not absorbed into the body but pass through to be excreted in the faeces. As a result the body must burn stored fat to provide energy, which gradually reduces fat stores and produces weight loss. The drug's effectiveness varies from patient to patient.

Because it works by making the faeces oily, flatulence can occur. It's effectiveness may be partly due to people reducing their fat intake to avoid the unpleasant side effects.

Onset of action - 30 mins, excretion of excess faecal fat begins about 24-48 hrs after first dose.

Duration of action- The drug is not absorbed from the gut and can continue to work as it passes through the intestines. Faeces return to normal 48-72 hrs after treatment is stopped.

Diet advice: Eat a balanced diet that does not contain quite enough calories, and that provides about 30% of the calories as fat. Eat lots of fruit and veg. The intake of fat, carbohydrates and protein should be distributed over the three meals.

On the side effects it says it can cause menstrual irregularities - which I didn't know and that's probably why I haven't seen anything since May :roll:

Anyway sorry this post is sooooo long but I thought a few people might be interested. :wink:

Have a good weekend

Jane

\"A moment on the lips is a lifetime on the Hips\"!!!!!!!

God I must have had a thousand \"moments\"

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

\"A moment on the lips is a lifetime on the Hips\"!!!!!!!

God I must have had a thousand \"moments\"

Excellent..... :lol: :lol:

• Posted

I had my first period in three months and I swear it was being on the pills for just a week that brought it on!

I am of that sort of age though!

• Posted

hi jane..interesting read i had the mirena coil and had no problems with my periods virtually none since starting blueys ive hadfirst long long period in months and cramping pain too.lol anyway will be asking doc on monday!!! :x
  • Posted

Hi Hopetobeslimmer,

think we must be about the same age - as I had started having them every 2 months and had some sort of routine going on but nothing since the end of May - i'm not all that bothered, just have to be prepared for it wherever I go :lol:

Jane

• Posted

Hi Jane

Know what you mean - be glad when they stop all together!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.