Info on PIP

Posted , 4 users are following.

My husband has oesteoarthritis in both hips and awaiting a hip replacement, he's in pain constantly and just been awarded standard pip with if feel he should have got enhanced. Has anyone else had problems.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Michelle be careful with PIP as if you appeal you could lose the lot, i have grade 4 osteoarthritis all over my body and in constant pain and need help doing everyday tasks from my wife and PIP only awarded me Standard care although they gave high Mobility, i appealed the decision and it came back the same but i know somebody who appealed a decision and they lost it all, tell your husband he is not on his own this site is great fro feedback and everybody makes its easier to talk about things good luck
    • Posted

Thanks he gets High Care due to other problems hencountered is getting a hip replacement in August and will need his other one done at some point. I am going to CAB for more info. Thanks for your reply.
    • Posted

I agree ,I've been awarded standard mobility and now also standard care ,for which I'm very grateful...however I asked for a reconsideration due to mobility ,I believe I should have received higher . Recommendations came back the same. I was in a quandary whether to go to appeal,but have decided to leave it for now. I believe giving me the care part ,was cheaper for them lol as higher mobility opens up more doors than standard smile

Anyway for me I was very happy to get some care with my mobility this time ,so will not risk it. I've heard horror stories of people loosing some or all and some of those are people I would say are far worse off than I.

BUT good luck if you decide to go for it

• Posted

Hi Jan 1961,

I am waiting on the assessment report coming back then will decide what to do i totally agree with you and we are very gratefully. I feel he has been let down not just on the mobility but the unfamiliar places as he can't plan and follow the route of an unfamiliar place he wouldn't be able to go on his own due to a Aquired Brain injury will keep you posted. Thanks for the reply.

• Posted

Be very careful I was on high dla for care and mobility. Went to pip and awarded enhanced care standard mobility, CAB advised me to ask for a reconsideration I was then awarded standard for both and would have to attend a tribunal at court if I disagreed. I use a walker and electric wheelchair as I can't walk without pain and I am unsteady on my feet due to cervical and lumber arthritis. I have arthritis in both knees and both wrists and now my shoulders. It amazes me how they decide who should get what and it is all down to one person. I really don't understand how a permanent chronically condition like arthritis is only given 3 years then you have to reapply it's not as if I can have a new spine. It makes me so angry. I can't wash or dress myself without help and can only go shopping or to hospitals using my wheelchair yet I get standard and GP and pain consultant sent excellent supporting evidence

• Posted

Hi

Who are these people who think they above doctors and consultants people who know you well and it all comes down to one person who reads about your illness it's disgusting something needs to be done to help us suffering as there is no help at all good luck with everything

• Posted

Hi,

I totally agree with you I wonder how they would cope with being in chronic pain and on 30 painkillers a day. My husband is waiting on hip surgery for the left side and will need his right side done in the near future and his knees also he is only 41 so it's going to be a lifetime of pain. It's not as if you all woke up on morning and decided to have chronic pain. Thanks for your comment.

• Posted

My husband was awarded it for three years and it said as your needs may change how much worse can it get he's on 30 painkillers a day and still every movement he's in pain. He was awarded 4 points for moving around. Do you know if they take into account that he's never comfortable when walking due to the pain.

• Posted

Only advice I can offer is when it's due for review go to cab and get them to help you complete forms and ask any consultant and GP for letters as GP thinks DWP will write to them but I was told dla did but pip the onus is in you to supply the evidence. I really don't think dwp care about your pain it's all about money and how much they can save. It's the minority's Micky takers which have ruined it for genuine people and we all know who they are. I witnessed a man waiting to cross the road holding a walking stick then he ran across only to start limping when he reached the other side grr

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.