Information needed on PE recovery time.

Posted , 3 users are following.

I know everyone is different. i am 59 just recovering from large PE's in both lungs, not quite a saddle PE. i was short of breath 3 weeks before being diagnosed. i have booked this week off my office job but I know my employers are wondering when i will be back. i have no idea what to say. i am just feeling so tired. how long has it taken others to recover? Cindy

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Cindyloocake,

I felt out of breath for several months after my P.E. I had an op for a broken arm seven weeks ago, I was really worried about getting a P.E, even though I take now a lot of natural anticoagulants now, I still panic about blood clotting two years later, it never leaves me.

• Posted

im a year post PE. was a small clot. im 30 & pretty damn healthy and not overweight etc etc and i still get SOB, some back pain and generally tired most of the time. i had a CT that confirmed the clot had dissolved but theres some days that it feels like its still there due to similar symptoms. your recovery time may be a LOT shorter considering you caught it early on. i toughed out high heart rate and sob symptoms for five months before a doctor with a brain decided to scan my chest and found a PE. my hemotologist said recovery time depends on how long you carried rhe clot, how big it was, and how your body is reacting to the medication. from all the digging in the forums it seems like generally everyone feels quite a lot better after 6 months, for me it was a year to at least feel somewhat normal. and then they say bout 2 years to feel 100% normal again. im hoping ill be good soon. goodluck to you

• Posted

Hi jimmy, So i ended up having bi lateral PE's after a DVT. im only 25!!! i had covid back in febuary 2021 and then again in august 2021. They believe the clots were from covid but ive been suffering long covid really badly!!!!!

anyone its been 4 months now and ive been on apixoban since but the past 2 weeks or so ive been getting really bad pains in my calf. its like a numbenss, tingling, cramp and somrtimes i just cant stand on it properly? normally if ive been sitting down, im panicking incase i have another DVT or PE but can i even if im on anti cogelants? my D-DIMER on a blood test is well within range so i just dont get it? im also tired ALL OF THE TIME. its horrendous for a 25 year old male. im a personal trainer as well, its awful this.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.